Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you handle wandering?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ds thought it would be a great idea to take off down the street as we were getting loaded up to leave my moms and come home. Thank God she lives in a subdivision and that it wasn't busy today bc he got a good ways down before we were able to catch him. He's never taken off before and now that he did today, it terrifies me that we're starting this new thing with him. If you have a child that wanders(d) how have/did you stop it?
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM

My three 6.5 year olds struggle with this.  Two have zero safety comprehension and the third knows what's expected when asked but can't apply it correctly.  My most impaired one is in a stroller when outside unless I am one on one with her.  The other two have to hold my hand.  I'm a big helicopter parent when out and about with them.  We also have a handicap pass so we are closer to building entrance for the running.

mom_to_kenzie
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM
He has a puppy harness that he's going to start wearing any time he steps foot outside to go somewhere..but short of that, I have no other ideas. I put our child locks back on the house doors so he can't get out..but more than anything I want him to comprehend that he really could've gotten hurt by what he did. I think that's the part that still has me frazzled. He gets that jumping on his bed he could fall and hurt himself, bc he fell and hurt himself one night after constantly being told to stop. So he gets that he can get hurt, but he has to learn from experience, and obviously that's just something that can't happen.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

My three 6.5 year olds struggle with this.  Two have zero safety comprehension and the third knows what's expected when asked but can't apply it correctly.  My most impaired one is in a stroller when outside unless I am one on one with her.  The other two have to hold my hand.  I'm a big helicopter parent when out and about with them.  We also have a handicap pass so we are closer to building entrance for the running.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM
Mine did it for ages. We tried two things that worked. The first is give the rule ahead of time, hold my hand or walk next to me. If he runs off, I catch up, no talk and walk him back by hand. We practice what he should have done with verbal instructions.

I also started practicing stopping when I say stop, like red light green light. If I yell, it's a fun game. No talk means no attention. Ds did it all the time at the beach, once when a hurricane hit the beach. The wind was 60 mph with heavy rains and this kid runs to the water instead of away from.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 6, 2015 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here except I only have one:)

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

emarin77
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM

My son only wandered when he was playing a soccer game when 3 and when in preschool.  We stopped putting our son in soccer but at school I suggested the teacher allow my son to have his own area in the classroom he can go to when he needed to.  It included a bean bag with books to read.  It worked.  When walking to the bus stop and waiting I held him by a harness.  My son grew out of wandering by the time he was in kindergarten.

KimmyShaw
by on Apr. 7, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I would take this time and use it as a learning experience and talk to him about it AND punish him. Hopefully it will be the first and last time!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM

We used social stories and his home Behaviorial therapist worked on it with him when he was like 4 or 5. Haven't had issues since. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)