Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any idea why they care?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

Sam started his new program march 7. He did 2.5 hours the first few days and then we increased time slowly and surely. We tried 2 full days before Easter break, but they didn't go well and school felt it was important for this to be positive so they suggested we pull back to 5 hours a day, which is where we are now. (School is 6 hours total). 

As you know, Sam is now an out of district student. 

The genetleman second in control of special ed has emailed me 3 times since Sam began his new program asking if Sam is full day yet... And when we had our transition meeting was very "when will he be full days! What's the plan? Huh? huh? What's the plan?" And SAMs school was very much like..."ummm, we need to see how Sam does, the plan is fluid, depending in the needs of the child." 

And another email last night. "Is Sam full days yet?" 

Why? 

He doesn't care....this is not a deep concern for the well being of my son... Noooo...

Do you think it's different money with 1/2 day students and full day? i just can't imagine WHY he keeps asking (and pushing!!!!) 

sam is just 60 minutes short of full day. Next week, we are going to increase by 30 minutes and see how it goes.... We will progress from there after we see how he does. 

For the life of me, I can NOT figure out why Mr.R keeps pushing for Sam to be full days?!?! What, do they pay by the hour??!?! Is Sam a cheap motel room? LOL... 

What do you think? It's money, somehow.... But how would it matter?!?! 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I would bet that this is because the district is paying a lot for Sam's out of district placement but isn't able to receive full state funding to offset those costs until Sam attends full days. Just keep doing what is best for Sam because I doubt that his educational needs are what is concerning this "gentleman".
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's a money thing. Keep Mr. R in the loop on all correspondence concerning hours; you can just copy him on any emails (and I would make sure you have emails on all discussions about hours so you have the paper trail).

If the harassment continues you can go above his head with your paper trail.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:06 AM
Lol i havent thrown out an email since sam started school in 2010. I have 20,000 emails...

Will do. ;)

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, it's a money thing. Keep Mr. R in the loop on all correspondence concerning hours; you can just copy him on any emails (and I would make sure you have emails on all discussions about hours so you have the paper trail).

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Holy crap. LOL

I have maybe 10-15 emails saved between my 2 emails... the rest I get rid of after a year or two, or I print out for a hard copy so i can clear out my inbox... I'd never be able to FIND anything otherwise LOL

How do you organize that many emails? do you have them in folders by year?

Quoting SamMom912: Lol i havent thrown out an email since sam started school in 2010. I have 20,000 emails... Will do. ;)
Quoting gdiamante:

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM
Folders for school
Drs
Financials
Purchases
Love notes
Work
Family

About 5ooo is junk

Quoting kajira:

Holy crap. LOL

I have maybe 10-15 emails saved between my 2 emails... the rest I get rid of after a year or two, or I print out for a hard copy so i can clear out my inbox... I'd never be able to FIND anything otherwise LOL

How do you organize that many emails? do you have them in folders by year?

Quoting SamMom912: Lol i havent thrown out an email since sam started school in 2010. I have 20,000 emails...

Will do. ;)

Quoting gdiamante:

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We have run into this issue with my kiddos being part time kids this year and in and out for therapies.  Sam probably shows up on one of his reports as the district not being in compliance.  If his IEP shows full time minutes, but he does not attend full time to the minutes, the IEP needs ammended to show the minutes he does go to keep district in compliance.  Or, if he is not going to go full time period, they may require you to fill out home school or private competent instruction paperwork as it is here to account for the rest of the minutes so district is not held accountable for serving Sam full time minutes when he does not attend for them to do so.  Yes, they do get different pay for part and full, but I'm guessing the minutes/compliance issue is more the driver.

i would just respond and ask why this is of a concern being that the transition is fluid and the new school is encouraging not full time quite yet.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I bet it's money. Are you tempted to straight up ask him?

Hey Mr. R,

I've noticed that you have been very concerned about whether my son has been attending school full time and I can't help but think that this is related to money.

Can you please explain to me why you are harassing me with constant emails regarding this issue?

Thanks! Have a great day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

It is likely tied to money or paperwork. Ask him.

Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I posted this in the other group but it may be about them owing "compensatory education"

http://www.lsmo.org/library-item/compensatory-education-when-special-education-wasnt-offered

Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM

ITs about the money, they can claim him for funds and hours until he is 9 in most areas, the state will give them up to 3 time the amount for him than a regular child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)