Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello everyone

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:51 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello ladies I am new to your group and I have a 11 yr old son and an 8 yr old daughter who is autistic. How do you deal with the constant meltdowns, mood swings, acting up in school, etc? Are your autistic children adhd also?
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

Alicia_Griffin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Thank you😃
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome!! My 4 year old is on the spectrum and my 8 year Is NT. My 4 year old doesn't have a lot of meltdowns. I guess we know what the triggers are and we avoid them. We know what places he doesn't like and avoid those too. Not sure if it's the best strategy but it works for us. If he does have a meltdown away from home we tend to leave. If we are at home we just give him his space. There is no way to reason with him in these moments. Sometimes if we catch him in the beginning of a meltdown we can distract with something he really likes, like a snack or stickers. Your kids are a lot older than mine so I'm not sure what to recommend.
He doesn't appear to have ADHD as well. He can be a little OCD at time but no official diagnosis.
Alicia_Griffin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM
You seem to have your hands full too, good luck

Quoting Ralgj: Welcome!! My 4 year old is on the spectrum and my 8 year Is NT. My 4 year old doesn't have a lot of meltdowns. I guess we know what the triggers are and we avoid them. We know what places he doesn't like and avoid those too. Not sure if it's the best strategy but it works for us. If he does have a meltdown away from home we tend to leave. If we are at home we just give him his space. There is no way to reason with him in these moments. Sometimes if we catch him in the beginning of a meltdown we can distract with something he really likes, like a snack or stickers. Your kids are a lot older than mine so I'm not sure what to recommend.
He doesn't appear to have ADHD as well. He can be a little OCD at time but no official diagnosis.
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Thanks!

Quoting Alicia_Griffin: You seem to have your hands full too, good luck

Quoting Ralgj: Welcome!! My 4 year old is on the spectrum and my 8 year Is NT. My 4 year old doesn't have a lot of meltdowns. I guess we know what the triggers are and we avoid them. We know what places he doesn't like and avoid those too. Not sure if it's the best strategy but it works for us. If he does have a meltdown away from home we tend to leave. If we are at home we just give him his space. There is no way to reason with him in these moments. Sometimes if we catch him in the beginning of a meltdown we can distract with something he really likes, like a snack or stickers. Your kids are a lot older than mine so I'm not sure what to recommend.
magmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a son (9) with autism, ocd, and adhd. My daughter (6) pervasive mood disorder and possible spectrum. My youngest son (4) is showing ocd tendencies but it is not interfering with life. His main struggle is with dealing with his siblings.

They have strong sensory perception difficulties. Anna is a sensory seeker, Micah a sensory avoided. She's in his face and he wants his space!

we try to prepare well in advance for things like grocery trips or fsmiIy visits. I try to stick to the schedule because they like the comfort of knowing what's going to come next. we role play before we go somewhere and I always have an incentive for them to work for, like you can get a coke at check out. I do 3 strikes And they lose their reward. When I do not do all of the above mentioned, there will be meltdowns and aggression. quick changes in routine can be a nightmare.

Aggression is something I never considered being related to autism but I guess it makes since with the communication difficulties and sensory issues. We are still working hard on the aggression.

Sorry to write a novel. Welcome to the group. Just being able to share with this group of ladies has given me support and strength. Lots of love!
Alicia_Griffin
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM
My heart goes out to you😀 you certainly have your hands full

Quoting magmommy: I have a son (9) with autism, ocd, and adhd. My daughter (6) pervasive mood disorder and possible spectrum. My youngest son (4) is showing ocd tendencies but it is not interfering with life. His main struggle is with dealing with his siblings.

They have strong sensory perception difficulties. Anna is a sensory seeker, Micah a sensory avoided. She's in his face and he wants his space!

we try to prepare well in advance for things like grocery trips or fsmiIy visits. I try to stick to the schedule because they like the comfort of knowing what's going to come next. we role play before we go somewhere and I always have an incentive for them to work for, like you can get a coke at check out. I do 3 strikes And they lose their reward. When I do not do all of the above mentioned, there will be meltdowns and aggression. quick changes in routine can be a nightmare.

Aggression is something I never considered being related to autism but I guess it makes since with the communication difficulties and sensory issues. We are still working hard on the aggression.

Sorry to write a novel. Welcome to the group. Just being able to share with this group of ladies has given me support and strength. Lots of love!
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Welcome to the group. My asd son has adhd too. Although it really was more add than adhd. He did have a hyper issue but that was really tied to sensory issues. He is now 17 and the sensory issues are much more mild. He isn't hyper at all. But he still struggles with attention! So he is on meds for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusrocks2013
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Hello  dear sister and may God bless you,

Welcome to the group . My name is Yamila I have a 4 year old daughter who is also autistic and non verbal . My best  advice would be for you to avoid certain situations that you know that he does not feel comfortable .

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

K1tten
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Hello...good morning..and all of that as well as welcome to the group. my son is soon 7 and High functioning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)