• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of the gfcf diet...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

For those of you on the gfcf diet, what some of the stipulations you have in your child's IEP concerning this?  Obviously the diet itself but do any of you have things like the teacher informing you prior to parties in the classroom and such?  We have our Kindergarden transition/IEP meeting next week and I want to make sure we get these topics in.  

by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:45 AM

We don't do the gluten diet, but my son has nut and other food allergies.  He typically can't have the party snacks brought in.  So teacher lets me send a stash of his snacks that when they have treats he can pick one I know he can eat.  If the stash gets low she tells me, and I send more.  I make sure it is filled with his favorites.  She just keeps it in a closet in the classroom.  This works pretty well for us.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Bring details of the diet to the IEP meeting. Put the details into the IEP. State how you expect things to be handled by the school (eg. you are notified of parties and events, and you supply his treats). Most schools respect food allergies.

They need to clearly understand that immune reactions to sensitivities impact the brain within minutes of exposure. Anything that encourages bad bacteria in the gut directly impacts the brain through nerves in the gut for long periods of time (until the bacteria dies down and is cleaned out of the gut, dead bacteria creates different toxins).

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM

My son goes to a private school and he has a private nurse to care for him so she feeds him whatever I send to school.  He doesn't eat anything else.  It's  small school though.  Good luck!

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on May. 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Bring a detailed letter from your childs doctor On why the specialized diet is necessary.
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 5, 2015 at 9:53 PM

The year my son was gluten free we just sent his snacks in and he didnt eat anything from the school just to be safe. Nothing was in his IEP but there were other kids in the class with allergies and the teacher worked with us and no issues :)

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Did you have your meeting? How'd it go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Not till next Wednesday.  Just  thought I'd ask so I didn't forget to later.  At least we finally know when. I'm anxious to see what they have to say.  

Quoting mypbandj: Did you have your meeting? How'd it go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)