Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It never seems real until you see it for yourself!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM
  • 20 Replies

All the talk of gluten affecting our kids....I've heard it for years.  I believe all the people I hear it from.  I never realized the impact until I saw it happen to my own child.  No joke.

Brady eats yogurt...that's about it.  He's primarily fed through a g-tube.

We have started adding things to his vanilla yogurt.  We started with mashed sweet potatoes (the instant kind) and then recently moved to regular mashed potatoes (again, the instant kind).  I had no idea the effect gluten would have on him. 

Oh. My. Gosh.  That's about all I can say.

Although he seemed to enjoy the taste, his behavior drastically changed....VERY whiny to then fussy to then tantrums and meltdowns ALL the time.  He was miserable.  Just so unhappy, and we had no clue why.  Then, on Saturday, I fed him mashed potatoes for 3 meals (stupid, I know), and he had a 2 hour seizure.  No joke.  He seized for 2 hours straight.  He hasn't had a bite of gluten since Saturday afternoon/evening, and finally today, (Tuesday), he's 85% back to his normal self.

Holy shit.  Pardon my language. 

I had no clue the effect that gluten could have on him until we gave it to him.

Now I know that real potatoes and real sweet potatoes don't have gluten in them...I'm the moron who gave my child processed food.  Never again.  I can't even feed him the fresh potatoes now...he saw the bowl of the fresh homemade mashed potatoes yesterday on the table and he sat there crying as he looked at it.  He didn't want that stuff.  He didn't stop crying until I took the bowl away.  Poor baby.  He had no idea it was actually the right stuff that wouldn't make him feel bad. 

Back to just yogurt....

I'm not the best mom this week...that's for sure.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM

You are not a bad mom at all! You just didnt know that food would make him sick. We went gluten free for an entire year and it didnt help at all..and had tons of blood work done.. My hubby is gluten free though...well he's supposed to be but he messes up sometimes..he has celiac and he knows how bad it sucks for him when he is eating bad..  Glad you figured it now and Brady can eat the food that doesn't make him sick.. Yay Brady for trying new food! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 5, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Charizma77:

You are not a bad mom at all! You just didnt know that food would make him sick. We went gluten free for an entire year and it didnt help at all..and had tons of blood work done.. My hubby is gluten free though...well he's supposed to be but he messes up sometimes..he has celiac and he knows how bad it sucks for him when he is eating bad..  Glad you figured it now and Brady can eat the food that doesn't make him sick.. Yay Brady for trying new food! 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Wow!!!! Hugs Darby.. 2 hours of seizures! Poor Brady.. And yeah, I would cry like that over strawberries as a kid.. I loved them.. But I would get hives... It's what is best for him and I'd venture to say the BAD mom would have given him the bowl.. But you're the GREST mom!!! :) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 5, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Wow!!!! Hugs Darby.. 2 hours of seizures! Poor Brady.. And yeah, I would cry like that over strawberries as a kid.. I loved them.. But I would get hives... It's what is best for him and I'd venture to say the BAD mom would have given him the bowl.. But you're the GREST mom!!! :) 

Ralgj
by April on May. 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Don't be crazy!! You aren't a bad mom at all!! You didn't know how it would affect him. You figured it out and that's what is most important. I hope he's 100% soon. What a rough time for you guys. Hugs!!
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Oh, you're still the best mom!  Because you recognized the connection and know not to give it to him again.  Nice quick lesson, rather than drawn out for months/years of discomfort.  I say that's a great mom! 

Glad he is feeling better.  Ouch!  I'm actually glad it was so clear so you KNEW what it was going on.  Glad you don't have to guess and hunt for the solution! 

magmommy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM
You're Awesome mom! We don't know until we try it. I'm thinking of going gluten free to see for my kids. Seems like y9u were able to see this effects instantly.
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Wow that's crazy Darby! It really amazes me how it can have such an affect on some kids. Now I agree, not all kids have the gluten issue that have Autism but it seems like the ones that do its pretty evident. Our doctor thinks we're crazy for going gf but we see plenty of reason to stay. Just today our new feeding therapist had a student following her. She asked me to tell Ben's story to the student because she said Ben is a great example of the gfcf diet working. Glad Brady's doing better.
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
1) I never even knew they made instant sweet potatoes! Lol
2) I wouldn't have even guessed instant potatoes had gluten! Wow. It's really everywhere.
3) you're a great mom! Don't question that, especially over potatoes! Man, if that's the worst thing you've done...
Don't sweat the small stuff! Brady has come so far. He may dislike potatoes now but I bet he eats something else one day. I'm sure he will since he is so amazing and is doing all sorts of new things all the time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I agree on the sweet potatoes!!!  Where might I find instant sweet potatoes, I want some for me!  Some instant potatoes do and some don't.  I know there are a few brands in the box that are gf but like the single serve instant cups are not.  Ben used to love mashed poatoes, but only out of the cups...now I know why...

Quoting mypbandj: 1) I never even knew they made instant sweet potatoes! Lol 2) I wouldn't have even guessed instant potatoes had gluten! Wow. It's really everywhere. 3) you're a great mom! Don't question that, especially over potatoes! Man, if that's the worst thing you've done... Don't sweat the small stuff! Brady has come so far. He may dislike potatoes now but I bet he eats something else one day. I'm sure he will since he is so amazing and is doing all sorts of new things all the time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)