• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions for teens with HFA and summer jobs

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM
  • 6 Replies

My 15 y/o son is finally getting bored and lonely being home over the summer. We are thinking it might be time to look at him getting a part-time summer job. Was thinking counselor-in-training (CIT) for a camp or maybe working at the snack bar at the swim club where his older brother works.

Looking for advise from moms with teens as to what jobs seemed to fit with their distinctive personalities. What jobs have your teens held that melded with their diagnoses?

All suggestions and help is appreciated.

by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM
What does he like to do?
Does he like lids? Maybe just babysitting 1 HFA kid? Kinda mentorish?
Maybe teach HFA kid chess? Video gaming?

Work at animal shelter if he is not social?
A friend if mine HFA as a kid worked jn an arch & engineering firm printing drawings and organizing files.

Id wonder if he has ideas for things he likes that you could morph into a job?

Is there a counselor at school that may have a job list? Thats how we found summer jobs. I was lifeguard... But it was a lot of social nuances i would think would be difficult for HFA kid to master...
LIMom1105
by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM
We had two teens with HFA at my library. They both shelved books and helped librarians prepare activities, but it is as mainly shelving. One teen understood the system very well, but the other could never grasp it.

A library might work, depending upon your child's skill set.
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Do you have any theraputic riding programs nearby?  Many have a program called Barn Buddies, tailor-made for kids like him. They teach transitional skills and many other skills.

lisa12121
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Thank you everyone. He is not big into animals. He does do a week overnight at boy scout camp, but that seems not to be enough. His brother is a lifeguard and could potentially get him work at the swim club (I was thinking snack bar). He is not great one-on-one and it takes too much out of him socially if he had to work with one kid. We have a local camp that does a lot with special needs kids which is why I was thinking CIT. Unfortunately, both DH and I work and I have no way of getting him to work unless he goes to work at the swim club with his brother. I just don't know what to do. Ugh.

Macphee
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Go for swim club job, snack bar requires communication. Will he be ok with that? Lifeguard is pretty good job. You won't know until he tries.
lisa12121
by Member on May. 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

I wouldn't trust him as a lifeguard (love him dearly, but no). But he could manage in the snack bar. Right now, he is senior patrol leader of his boy scout troop, so he can do what needs to be done. Since I have an "in" at the swim club, I think I'll have my older son look into it for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)