Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT Update

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

So they didnt tell me anything that I didnt already know other than her sensory issue is partcularly related to high frequency sounds, my issue is why cant I now just go ahead and work on the various things that they mentioned rather than shelling out $60 a pop, basically $1 a minute for something that I can do at home?? I can record various sounds around the house and work on desensitizing her, I can have her practice writing and cutting, etc.  I just think that its a lot of money that I could now save by just working on those specific things myself, I just need to set aside the time to do it...

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:08 AM

I guess you could, BUT, it sounds to me like you have a lot to do... And setting aside the time would be hard...what if you did the therapy for 3 months and waited to see if there was a marked difference, if your DD got better about 2 things... Or you learned 2 things on how to really help. It IS more then about desensitizing (with a good OT) a good OT. Will help your child regulate what their body needs, when they feel overwhelmed, create a "diet" (of exercise not food...) of what works for them when they aren't feeling good... (And by feeling good, I mean, when their inner engine is running high or low) to get them to feel better and be more in control of how their bodies feel to self advocate with knowing when they are running too high and what exercises help with that.. I know you know it isn't about just recording a baby cry and putting that in your DDs ear for 3 minutes at a time. Lol... 

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM
I know I know, I guess it's just WOW $60 an hour! it was like writing, cutting, drawing shapes, finger painting, stacking blocks, etc. pretty basic things that I could do home. Since I'm the one paying them, doesn't make them my employee so can't I request what specific issues I want them to work with her on? It was just the evaluation portion but will they now work on more specific sort of tasks??

Quoting SamMom912:

I guess you could, BUT, it sounds to me like you have a lot to do... And setting aside the time would be hard...what if you did the therapy for 3 months and waited to see if there was a marked difference, if your DD got better about 2 things... Or you learned 2 things on how to really help. It IS more then about desensitizing (with a good OT) a good OT. Will help your child regulate what their body needs, when they feel overwhelmed, create a "diet" (of exercise not food...) of what works for them when they aren't feeling good... (And by feeling good, I mean, when their inner engine is running high or low) to get them to feel better and be more in control of how their bodies feel to self advocate with knowing when they are running too high and what exercises help with that.. I know you know it isn't about just recording a baby cry and putting that in your DDs ear for 3 minutes at a time. Lol... 

wicked_tink
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM
You can still work with her regardless:) In the end I hope it gets easier for you
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM
None of that sounds like sensory OT but fine motor OT.
Id make sure they know you want them to focus on tactile, auditory, vestibular & proprioceptive! Not her fine motor skills of cutting, stacking and arm/hand skills.

Quoting MixedCooke: I know I know, I guess it's just WOW $60 an hour! it was like writing, cutting, drawing shapes, finger painting, stacking blocks, etc. pretty basic things that I could do home. Since I'm the one paying them, doesn't make them my employee so can't I request what specific issues I want them to work with her on? It was just the evaluation portion but will they now work on more specific sort of tasks??

Quoting SamMom912:

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:42 AM

You do need to tell the OT what you think your daughter is struggling with the most, so they can focus on that first. OT stuff is alot of stuff you can do at home with her .... what I like about actually getting the therapy is that they can track progress. See what's working and what isn't. If you're good with writing everything down, you can do this too. I just know that for me ....  I'm great at doing the activities but I suck at keeping up with what worked and what didn't and I can never tell if what I'm doing is really helping so I get discouraged.

It's ultimately up to you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Quoting wicked_tink: You can still work with her regardless:) In the end I hope it gets easier for you

I agree here! 

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Jun. 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Well it was the basic OT evaluation but they did have a household sounds CD playing in the background and would turn it up or down based on how she reacted.

Quoting SamMom912: None of that sounds like sensory OT but fine motor OT.
Id make sure they know you want them to focus on tactile, auditory, vestibular & proprioceptive! Not her fine motor skills of cutting, stacking and arm/hand skills.

Quoting MixedCooke: I know I know, I guess it's just WOW $60 an hour! it was like writing, cutting, drawing shapes, finger painting, stacking blocks, etc. pretty basic things that I could do home. Since I'm the one paying them, doesn't make them my employee so can't I request what specific issues I want them to work with her on? It was just the evaluation portion but will they now work on more specific sort of tasks??

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)