Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP vent

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am so angry at the SPED department for h their lack of communication. Last Fall we were happy to hear that our son 18 yr old was offered a great opportunity to return to school for one more year because they felt he wasn't ready to move on. They would give him classes on money, budgeting, courses for college and work internship. He was to walk with the senior class but his diploma would be held until 2016. We have constantly calling and trying to set up a meeting to find out our next step since December.

Finally the head of the SPED department called and was telling me about what was going to happen next year. Nothing was as they said. She said he was only going to do the work internship which was only a 4 month deal. When I said I got him a part time job where I work (I work in a grocery store)  she said now that he is working the opportunity is now off the table and he will graduate as planned. I tried to explain to her that he is getting special treatment because my boss knows what he can handle and wasn't sure if he will make it past a bagger, he is nervous and uncomfortable but is trying to push himself. I felt he still needed the extra time at the job opportunities but she said he has shown he could get a job so it's a done deal.

I am so angry. They pushed for me to get guardianship which I did on my own since the community action place they to me to get my son qualified for denied him and had no idea what was needed for guardianship. She was surprised I got it on my own. My son gets SSI through his dad that collects SSDI, they pushed me into him continuing to get SSI, they filled out the paperwork so he could collect after 18, it was approved until 2016 where it would end with the school year. They never said he couldn't work, the only reason why he is is because his GF's mom demanded she get a job so he felt like less of a man so he did. They both are working at the same place. His thinking is still very immature which he knows. He may only last a few weeks. He is showing signs that this isn't for him. It's a wait and see at this time.

I did my part, I did everything they asked. Lots of paperwork, spending money I didn't have to get all him medical records, putting all his IEPS together, taking time out of work to make sure I got it all done by the age of 18 and by the grace of God I did it all. Now I have to go to SSI and tell them that the school backed out, I'll probably have to pay back for the last two months since he qualified only until the age of 18. I used the money towards rent and the school activies as a senior. I am hoping they don't expect the amount and will let me make payments. I only work pt myself. I am so mad they waited until a week before school ends to give me this information. I am so angry that the dropped the ball on our son and are leaving him hanging right at graduation. His other teacher that works with the SPED department agreed that my son wasn't ready to work after I told him he got hired. He never said that the extra help would end if my son got a job. UGH, I am so angry.

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Jen on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM
Are they trying to remove services that were already in an iep? Or are they trying to avoid writing one?
Do you have access to an advocate?
I would call the state department and make a formal complaint. Ask for mediation. It's free.
Look up your rights on
I wish I knew more about your rights so I could tell you. It sounds like they are doing something wrong.
You might need to pull him from his job or at least tell them he was fired. Or maybe tell them you were mistaken. He doesn't have a job. You thought your boss was giving him one but when you showed up with him your boss said no.
Please keep us updated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Nicole on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:43 AM
I agree with Jen. And with the SSI, if you have proof that you spent the money on rent and activities or things for him, then they shouldn't make you pay it back. I'm not 100% positive with that though. But I know that's how it works here.
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Hugs mama!!!

by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM
You could make an appeal to have the case reviewed.

I know that if it is an overpayment you can make payments. There has to be some advocacy group that can help you.
by Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Thanks ladies. It is so frustrating. They said they were extending his IEP for next year since he will be returning. They said he will take some classes along with the work internship. Him having a part time job through me, my boss didn't even interview him, they just hired him without going through the process. I was told that the head of SPED was calling me yesterday after talking to his advisor, no call. I am contacting his advisor to get this straightened out. He and I were on the same page that my son is still immature and not quite ready for college but the SPED woman said that she wants him to apply for college and take a few classes. I am so frustrated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)