Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aba vs speech

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
My son is currently in morning ABA and afternoon preschool with speech on fri.. This summer I have him in ABA 5 mornings a week and I will have him in speech 4 afternoons a week. In the fall he will be starting full time pre-k for special needs, LOVE the teacher got to email her a lot this year and sit in on the class.

My question is .. I found an ABA that will come to the house after school in the fall, but my son is doing really well- he is very smart- his problem areas are speech and being more social.. So I'm wondering if it would be better to have him in speech more than Aba in the fall?

Anyone has suggestions or opinions? Thanks!
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:59 AM

We never did ABA. In fact, I'd never heard of it until this group. But my son was in speech therapy starting in 4th grade. He didn't like the teacher much. Thought she treated him like a baby. Maybe if he's gotten it younger it wouldn't have bothered him so much.

Perhaps you can do a mix, rather than one or the other?

BlessedAgain3
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM
Bump
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM

What kind of speech does he need? Articulation or pragmatics? 

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:18 AM
Honestly you know what your kid needs.

I found greater strides with ds with ABA. Speech to me is similar to tutoring, it doesn't seem functional. He practices language with an adult alone in a cubicle.

ABA on the other hand is done in real time, playground, transitioning, etc. Then again ds main issues are behavior related, his executive functioning and abstract thinking are what he struggles with.

I.e. he can express himself, but his initial reaction is to scream or verbally stim instead of talk.
emarin77
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM

I would discuss this with his preschool or his pathologist at the school.  My son is doing very well in school and doesn't even receive ABA therapy.  He receives speech/language therapy 2 days a week. Each half hour.  He is 7  and very social with other kids.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Not sure to be honest...good luck though!

KarenGood
by Karen on Jun. 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM
I think I would try to keep both and even it out... My son goes to school year round... I am trying to put ABA and hydrotherapy together... ABA 6hrs Monday and Fridays... And hydrotherapy on Wednesday only because it is summer and he is able to be outside more and get that physical activity.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)