Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ABA stay or go?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM
  • 14 Replies

Sam started getting ABA last summer for 6 hours a week. The goal was to get him out of our house happily and out into the community and act appropriately. This stemmed from running into a teacher at our local grocery store after a rough day at school and Sam avoided her. 

The summer didn't go great with the ABA needing to force a relationship which was anxiety provoking and adversarial for Sam. He did however tolerate her for 30 minutes, depending on the task. 

Anyway, in September the ABA was down to 1.5 hours a week and Sam was so stressed from school that she pulled back and she and I would talk for 70 minutes...and she would interact with Sam for less and less time. She was HUGELY helpful in getting Sam his out of district placement (I'm forever grateful) and she is a good sounding board for me in my ideas to help Sam. 

As you know Sam doesn't have a bus to school, but it is a goal. I shared my ideas on how to introduce the bus, and she loved my ideas and said I have such great instincts for plans etc. she REALLY understands kids like Sam and has been instrumental in helping me to explain to school his issues... She GETS him more then anyone else (ok me.,l) but professionally... Lol.. 

on her way out last week she asked me to think about IF I want to ask for her services on Sams IEP next year and summer. 

Honestly, Im torn. 

They DONT have a great relationship. She barely interacts with him a all... She could be spending that time WITH a kid... But she is good for me to run ideas by and spends a lot of time patting me on the back.. (Which I like) for how I handle a situation and offers emotional support and some direction. 

I do have concerns that introducing the bus next year will be difficult so it might be nice to keep her around... But, I don't feel like I'm getting a LOT.... Sam doesn't get much... Should I let this go? 

sams new school has a different ABA company. Who just comes into the school. 

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM
Is there any harm in putting her services on the iep? Any negative side effects?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM

I'm of the mind it's better to have it there and decide to discontinue later, than to take it off and find you really needed it after all.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Just that I'm finding it's more for me, then for Sam.. That Sam isn't getting a direct benefit, that she COULD spend that time helping a child... 

Quoting mypbandj: Is there any harm in putting her services on the iep? Any negative side effects?

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Do you think I should ask for it to simply start in September... No summer services? Or keep it JUST in case? I'm not really thrilled to have a "responsibility" over the summer... LOL... Is that bad? Sam with see his psychologist weekly for CBT/therapy... But I'm kinda "eh" about having her come to the house and being stuck in... I'm looking for a free easy breezy summer. 

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm of the mind it's better to have it there and decide to discontinue later, than to take it off and find you really needed it after all.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you leave the option of bringing her in if you find the summer is not so easy-breezy without the ABA? 

That's a service we were never offered, so I can't speak to the benefits of it. I just like the idea of keeping options wide open.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Can you switch to her being a consult?
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Thats an idea. :)

Quoting lady-J-Rock: Can you switch to her being a consult?
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM

If you feel it's helpful, even if not in a conventional way, then keep the services. Was she hinting that maybe you don't need her?

If she's willing to help and offer suggestions and those suggestions are beneficial to you, I don't see the problem in continuing to have her around, even if she's not working directly with Sam that much. Any type of help is help right? 

Happy0064
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM

In a roundabout way she is still helping Sam.  You are able to use her as a sound board which in turn is helping Sam.  Yes it is taking the long way around but with her help you have been able to achieve some wonderful services for Sam.  I would maybe continue to use her but maybe scale back in a little more time if possible.  She sounds like a wonderful resource. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:43 PM

I would consider her on a consult basis if I were you. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)