Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of stopping aba...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son has been receiving aba since 2. At 2 years they recommended 20 hours, I got him 10 hours per week. At 3, I dropped it down to 7. At 4, I want it down to 4.The aba agencies insist on long hours.  He goes to a private preschool and I want to increase his time at the preschool so he has more time to interact with peers. He goes to preschool for 3 hours per day for 4 days. I don't feel he is learning anything new through aba. At this point, we don't have any behavior issues but he is going to have a sibling in Sept and I am not sure if things will change then. Apart from preschool, we see a psychologist for feeding therapy every alternate week and I do the food therapy at home everyday for 2-3 hours. I also work on his writing. Aba agency is willing to work on his food and writing, but in the past, aba therapists pushed my son too far and his rigidity and refusal for food, writing got worse. So I prefer doing these 2 critical and sensitive tasks on my own. After all that, there is hardly any time left in the day. I keep the evenings free to play outside. They are insisting on 10 hours and I dont want to overburden my son. Since they are refusing to agree to 4 hours, I am thinking of stopping aba, though am feeling a little nervous doing so. I just hope I am making the right decision for my son.

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM
You have to go with what you want. They are concerned with their hours not the best interest of your son. Consider what goals they have for your son and progress. Also think of short and long term goals you have for him. Waiting lists for ABA can be long, so take time to decide. The hours are not up to them but up to you.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Makes sense to me, but stopping a service is a bit scary. I'm going thru that right now with OT. For my son, school has had such an important impact, it makes sense that you'd want to increase hours. It is too bad your ABA team won't accommodate you. I think you are also doing the right thing keeping some time in the evening for play outside. Bottom line is you know what is best for your son and your thought process on all this sounds spot on to me! These really are tough choices to make tho. I hope somehow they will let you do the 4 hours if that's what you want!
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs.
It sounds like you've made up your mind. ABA isn't really able to help with the things you need plus they seem more interested in getting more hours in than doing what works for you guys. There is a lot of learning he can get from preschool with social interaction. And outdoor play is also important. Follow your instincts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ralgj
by April on Jun. 3, 2015 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with not wanting to overburden him. I'm sure it's overwhelming to have so much therapy. While therapy is good and beneficial the same amount of hours doesn't work for all children. I know it's hard to get everything in to one day. Just do the best you can and try not to worry too much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)