Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car accident

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM
  • 5 Replies

So last night my kids were with their father when his car was hit. Both kids felt the impact and saw the damage. My ASD son stayed remarkably calm through the whole thing. My boyfriend and I immediately went to pick them up from the accident site and had them both checked out. My son was brave and calm in the ER and obediently took night meds; fell asleep almost instantly at home. Should I expect a backlash in the form of behaviours or even a meltdown later today or tomorrow? And if he expresses anxiety about the crash, how should I handle this? He has never been in a car wreck before. I just keep thanking God that neither my ex nor either child were hurt beyond just pulled muscles because of the force of impact. God was with them. But I can't help wondering if Nate's calm shell is going to shatter.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM
I can't give you for sures but I do know you hurt worse the day after a crash(been in a few).
So I would guess he'll hurt and may act out as a result. If he doesn't feel well does he tend to melt down?

If he gets anxious about crashing again, I'm not 100% sure what to do but I'd start with lots of comfort words and his(if he lets me) and just constant reassurance.

I'm really glad the accident wasn't worse and your kiddos are ok.
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM
we were in a wreck where the car spun several times before hitting a guardrail and DS was smiling when I reached for his hand but after that he always held onto the hanger thing back there everytime he got in the car for about a month. I knew that was a form of anxiety but he never expressed it any other way.

Thank God for his angels surrounding that car and that everyone is okay
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting LadyAmaranth: I can't give you for sures but I do know you hurt worse the day after a crash(been in a few). So I would guess he'll hurt and may act out as a result. If he doesn't feel well does he tend to melt down? If he gets anxious about crashing again, I'm not 100% sure what to do but I'd start with lots of comfort words and his(if he lets me) and just constant reassurance. I'm really glad the accident wasn't worse and your kiddos are ok.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:09 PM
Well, keep in your head that this was a traumatic time... If their is fall out; cut him some slack knowing where it is stemming from. :)

Id most likely just try to take it easy the next few days as he probably isnt feeling optimal and maybe cant even express that. :(
solen
by VintageMom on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM

That must have been so scary for all of you!

and yes, I would expect some delayed reaction from your son.......just the fact that you are thinking about it, you are probably as prepared as you can be, in that .......who knows how or when you may see some residual reaction.

amazing he kept calm, a friend was hit with her ASD son in the car, and he had a hard time of it.....they are both physically ok, it was just immediately after he was a wreck...

hope you are all still feeling ok!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)