Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A good day...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I love that you all will understand how big this is. But, most people won't. We went to therapy tonight. Nick likes to knock on the window to wave at the receptionist. She opened the window and asked him to come over and tell her about school. I told him to go ahead. He went over and talked back and forth about 6 times! He told her that I picked him up today. Also that he had music. He was keeping a conversation!!!! I remember about a yr ago, the receptionist would talk to him and he would look at me and repeat what she said. And that was it. This is huge for him.

I had the IEP meeting to sign the papers for the evaluation for adapted PE. The principle has had a sub in her place and she just returned a couple weeks ago. I requested the eval on August 21. They never even did the informal observation in 60 days. They did nothing. So, at 69 days I asked for a meeting and a formal eval to get this moving. The principle asked today when I made the request. Then who I made it with. (Which was the SE teacher in writing) she wasn't happy. She asked the SE teacher if they atleast did the informal. She said no! The principle was not happy. I made sure to tell her when 60 days hit, that I requested this. And that it's not fair that we have to wait another 60 days. She promised me that it will be done now. Usually all the staff gets up and we leave. But, today no one left when I was told bye. The principle wasn't happy. I think the SE teacher was reprimanded for allowing this to be lost in the system in the last couple months.
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I love Nick's conversation with the receptionist, that is so Major! dancing

It is also great his principle is taking charge,at least a little.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM
Hope the principal explains to her staff how important these things are! :)

Yay on conversation! :) wtg Nick!
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:00 PM
I knew the principle was going to say something because she thanked me for keeping up on it. That's when I told her that I knew there is only supposed to be a 60 day window. She then told me that we know it will be done now and then walked past me and patted my shoulder. The SE teacher tried to blame the gym teacher. Said that she talked to the gym teacher and the gym teacher said she had to handle it. But I still think it falls on the SE because she allowed it to be forgotten and didn't follow up. It was weird how the meeting ended. So I'm sure there was something said. Especially since I knew what I was talking about and I already went to the board of Ed last summer to get what I thought he needed.

Quoting SamMom912: Hope the principal explains to her staff how important these things are! :)

Yay on conversation! :) wtg Nick!
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM
Thanks! I am so proud of Nick! Having the conversation shows how far he has come.

Quoting MamaLauri:

I love Nick's conversation with the receptionist, that is so Major! dancing

It is also great his principle is taking charge,at least a little.

perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad he had a good day. Celebrate the good days.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM
I sure do understand! So wonderful to see these little things, that are really huge for our kiddos. Lots of love.

And good luck with the school. I'm glad you're on top of it.
Ralgj
by April on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Oh wow!! That's awesome!!
raschwittay
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Great news on the conversation. What a let down. I am glad the principal is doing something about it though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)