Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A punch in the stomach...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

In the beginning of October, we took Logan to a facility that only deals with Autism for testing and the report just came in the mail.

Their opinion is that Logz is significantly impaired by Autism and an "Intellectual Developmental Delay". They say his functioning IQ is below 50 which indicates serious impairment.

I don't agree with this at all. I mean I know he is quite impaired by his sensory issues but this dx has me in turmoil all over again-just like his initial dx at 15 months old.

We put parental controls on the iPad and computer. Logz figured out how to create a guest user log in to bypass the parental controls on both of them! Twice I caught him shopping for a Russian bride. Does this sound like a kid with an IQ of less than 50?

Because of challenging behaviors, they also recommended residential placement and dh is all for it. kiddo will stay at home until I literally cannot physically take care of him!!!

Thanx for letting me rant. Any feedback on how to process and deal with these test results is greatly appreciated.

Thanx again
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Carissa on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:35 AM
That all sounds so harsh. You know your son best and the numbers mean nothing. Your son is like many others (including my son) with autism. My sons reports always come out sounding so much worse as well. I'm so thankful he has teachers and therapists that see who he really is and get it. You are a wonderful mom and Logan is so blessed to have you. You see so much more than just numbers and a report. Keep fighting for him and don't let this get you down.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Oh, you know I'm in the same boat with you on my little one.  Her last ID eval had her listed as profound. Really? Profound, not even severe? Yes, she's only 7, but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't think she would need full time care when older.  We will do all we can to help her become as independent as possible, but Certainly at that stage, institution living will be recommended.  I too want her home as long as possible.  

The thing with those evals is they have a small amount of time to get a glimpse at your child.  And they aren't looking at what they can do, but what they can not or are not in relation to same age expectations.  And when they can't complete basic life functions for themselves like dressing, feeding, hygiene, bath rooming, etc then it lands them way down on the scale.  But it is just a number that continues to provide services.  You get to know who your child really is and what he is capable of.  Just ignore that other and enjoy him.  Hugs!  I hate those evals too.

by Amy on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Haha! Logan is way smarter than anyone else is giving him credit for. A Russian bride, that's pretty funny. 

You know your son best. Follow your gut!

by Jan on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I agree with the other ladies.  My son tests horribly on standardized tests, his mind just doesn't work that way.  But there are many things he's good at and you and I know our sons better than anyone.  It's one evaluation, don't let it get you down!

by April on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM
I know how hard those results can be to hear. They don't take everything into account. Like the things you mentioned that Logan does amazingly well. I guess the tests have to be standardized but they miss out on so much. Try not to be too discouraged. I can tell he is a smart guy and still has so much to accomplish. Hugs!!

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Mobile Photo

This is my son. Over the summer I had him reevaluated. He was dx with severe autism and mild mental retardation. He is independant, he can read and write at grade level for his age( he is 8)

You know your child best and what is and isn't going to work for him. Those tests are not always accurate. Good luck momma
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:36 PM

reports come out that way for my son also. I have just gotten used to the fact that they don't see what we see everyday.

by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:03 PM

We get the same thing with Ethan. He's figured out how to climb to get something he wants (a ball) off the top shelf of his closet. And they try to tell you they aren't motivated ha!

by Brittaney on Nov. 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM

I'm so sorry. I have a husband who is the same way. The test results are the only thing that matters and he no longer sees the child in front of him. And my dh already talks about residential placement and our dd is only 4 and making progress!!!! It really burns me up sometime.

You vent away and the only real way to process it to give it time to sink in. Look at all the pieces in your everyday life and stick with what fits. If something doesn't fit, don't believe it to be true. 

by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 9:47 PM
I agree with all the above responses. The tests just aren't great for a lot of our kids. They are normed on a non-autistic population. I really don't see them as accurate. My daughter has never had an IQ test. I have no doubt she would score very low if she did. But, I believe her to be the most intelligent one in my house. She chooses when to show her intelligence. If finding a Russian bride is what motivated Logan to show his intelligence but a standardized test doesn't motivate him to do so, then there is your answer. Give yourself time to process, then remember that you know him best and continue to move forward one step at a time and see where you get. That's my plan, but I'm with you, reports can seriously set me back on that plan momentarily.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)