Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a normal thing?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son constantly is chewing on something. Whether it is his clothes, or toys, erasers, pens...anything. He completely soaked his shirt yesterday because of the chewing. He gets really dry and red on his chin because he chews his coat and then goes outside and it is wet and cold and then his chin gets sore. Any tips on things we can try to help him stop the chewing on thing that shouldn't be in his mouth?
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Get him chewlery or a chewy tube. Increase his proprioceptive input.
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
If he knows not to swallow, gum!

Both my ASD and NT are oral sensory seeking. NT soaked his shirts, bites nails, everything.

Gum, also frozen ice pops work because the cold lowers it somewhat. we had special permission from school ot to leg ASD son have access to gum.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:28 PM
As SamMom says, a chewie of some sort will help. Ethan had the same problem. He likes to use a Chewie Tube which I strung with a chord so he can wear it around his neck. You can also buy chewie wristbands, necklaces, and clip-ons. There are tubes, pendants, fabric, lots of options. You can order them on Amazon or from a specialty website such as Fun and Function (www.funandfunction.com). Amazon is likely cheaper. Ethan's OT gave us the one he uses but it can also be found online. Not to worry! This is very common with our kiddos.
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I second the chewlery/chewy and/or gum. My son also is constantly chewing on things. I bought him chewlery and a chewy tube. That seems to help when he uses it. He sometimes will chew gum, but not often. He also chews on straws as well to help.

Ralgj
by April on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM
My son is also a chewer and biter. He clothes and nails are his favorites. He has several chewy items and won't use them. Hopefully you can find a chewy he will use. It's pretty common. Just make sure all of his teeth are ok.
lm86
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
He's got good teeth. Hasn't damaged them at all by the chewing. I will have to look into the chewy stuff.

Quoting Ralgj: My son is also a chewer and biter. He clothes and nails are his favorites. He has several chewy items and won't use them. Hopefully you can find a chewy he will use. It's pretty common. Just make sure all of his teeth are ok.
lm86
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM
He's not a big candy or gum type of kid. About the only kind of candy he will eat is a kit kat. He'd rather have popcorn or salty snacks.

I will have to look into the chewelry stuff.

Quoting Macphee: If he knows not to swallow, gum!

Both my ASD and NT are oral sensory seeking. NT soaked his shirts, bites nails, everything.

Gum, also frozen ice pops work because the cold lowers it somewhat. we had special permission from school ot to leg ASD son have access to gum.
luvnoah10
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM
My son had a chew Q when he was younger but he never would use it..instead he would chew on wet washcloths (like the baby ones that u can buy 5 pack at dollar store ) or he would chew on toothbrushes..he is 12 now and hasn't done that for few years
2panda7
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Like others have said chewlery or chew tubes. Fun and function also sells arm bands that are made for chewing or there are some cloth like looking necklaces, called bite bands. You can also purchase them on Amazon, just look about chews for autism and a bunch of different items come up. Ethan used to do that too, he even chewed a whole through a shirt once, and chewed the buttons off his rain coat. We got the chew tube that clips on and that seemed to help until he figured out to pull it off (we still have them around just in case, but he hasn't needed them in along time). I'd also recommend checking with his OT as they can try different things with him to see what his preferences are. Sour also can help or at least it did with Ethan to offer either war heads, sour patch kids, or the air heads candy once in a while. 

magmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:36 PM
i have had this issue with my son for years. It was worse btw 1-3 grades. Hed chew buttons off shirts and ruined many shirts, pens, toys... he chewed on everything he touched- remotes, pillows,movie cases. We found a chew necklace. He chewed through it until the hard part came off the necklace part. I researched until i found some chew tube that says "for aggressive chewers" he chewed pieces off that, but it lasted much much longer than anything else. as his anxiety goes up the chewing goes up. but so far, through 4th grade it is better. i wonder also, he has the same teacher he did last year, and we have an iep in place to give him help to reduce anxiety in school. anyway, its much better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)