Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

annas iep isnt strong enough

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:06 PM
  • 6 Replies
we finally have one. the school psycologist mentioned she agreed easily to do the testing because she saw annas scores in the RTI program and she said "i know you guys" which i know translates to : i might as well test because these parents arent gonna give up until i do :)

ive been stuck in the house from the snow so ive had plenty of time to stew over their results and im frustrated.

All the tests indicated learning disablities, except ones that she rushed through (which was a lot of them). they said they couldnt get conclusive data from those, so...the result is an iep for "other health impairment"
Basically they are taking her ADHD and blaming that for it. theyre putting an assistent with her for 30 min of reading time. but thats not enough. she rushes through things cuz she doesnt get it, she cant read so no amount of redirecting her or focusing her is going to help fix that.

Idont want to have to have her put in an actually sp-ed classroom, but weve got to do something fast! shes in 1st grade, had 2 years of K, and is still well below grade level - i think its the bottom 5th%. she cant add or subtract much less do all the common core crap they have now.but they say reading is so weak for her right no they want to focus on that.

so the more i think about it, the more frustrated im getting.she needs more than this. her therapist and advocate agrees.
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Ralgj
by April on Jan. 24, 2016 at 6:23 AM
Did you already agree to the IEP? I agree it sounds like she needs more assistance than 30min especially if she is struggling in many areas. Why are you against a special Ed classroom? Just curious?
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 24, 2016 at 6:57 AM

Have you thought of requesting an independent evaluation? It is your right to do so in a situation like this. You can read more about it and your rights at www.wrightslaw.com.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM

I'm glad she finally got the IEP.  I hope the services get worked out.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 8:16 AM
Anna sounds a lot like my friends DD M who has a language based learning disability. After 5 years school was STILL not able to teach M to read more then a 2nd grade level. She finally pulled her, placed her in that crazy costly special ed school (the one Ive mentioned is 65k a year) and in just 1/2 a year (M started there in September) Is READING, doing math, feeling happy (not mad, sad or frustrated) of course my friend is suing our district to pay. i know there is a specific reading program that my friend was talking about... (Her hubby is SE director for a local children's hospital for kids with traumatic brain injuries) that was successful. Im walking with her today... Ill ask. I mean, IF you look into the program or ask Anna's therapist if it might be effective perhaps the school would try it out for her?
I know private evaluations are costly, but it does seem like a full neuropsych would be beneficial since school couldnt identify what the issues are.
magmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Im not against it. I guess its just that i wish she didnt need it. But i do think she needs it. The more i think about it the more i think it would be better to help her before she falls too far behind. And it doesn't seem like the mainstream class is helping h er but frustrsting her instead.

Quoting Ralgj: Did you already agree to the IEP? I agree it sounds like she needs more assistance than 30min especially if she is struggling in many areas. Why are you against a special Ed classroom? Just curious?
magmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM
We are on the waiting list for a full work up with Vanderbilt. It just take so stinkin long. I would be interested that program. I'm looking for any way to help her. I hate that she has felt so frustrated, esp only at 7. She should be excited to learn right now not scared of school already.

Quoting SamMom912: Anna sounds a lot like my friends DD M who has a language based learning disability. After 5 years school was STILL not able to teach M to read more then a 2nd grade level. She finally pulled her, placed her in that crazy costly special ed school (the one Ive mentioned is 65k a year) and in just 1/2 a year (M started there in September) Is READING, doing math, feeling happy (not mad, sad or frustrated) of course my friend is suing our district to pay. i know there is a specific reading program that my friend was talking about... (Her hubby is SE director for a local children's hospital for kids with traumatic brain injuries) that was successful. Im walking with her today... Ill ask. I mean, IF you look into the program or ask Anna's therapist if it might be effective perhaps the school would try it out for her?
I know private evaluations are costly, but it does seem like a full neuropsych would be beneficial since school couldnt identify what the issues are.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)