Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hand Foot Mouth Disease...

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:13 AM
  • 8 Replies

...and autism. Can't get him to stop picking at the sores and he is peeling off skin. :-( The sores are bad but it has to run it's course. I washed him thoroughly and patted everywhere dry but the hands and feet are covered. Anyone have a suggestion for a good wash that tempers the itch? I was thinking that since I can't keep him from picking at them I will jsut get him a shower twice a day to wash and dry the sores so they don't get infected. Poor guy has huge ones even on his butt. He can't sit and he can barely play games. He certainly can't write to do his homework. Suck town population us. Dd (the source of the infection) is right as rain. It's like she was a carrier. Is that even possible?

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:49 AM

I thik a bath with warm water and baking soda.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:01 AM
Ugh I hate hand foot mouth.I hope it heals quickly.
Chirinos
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:15 AM
I feel your pain my youngest who's 11 had it when he was 2 and had it so bad He stopped drinking and eating. Ended up hospitalized for 2 days due to dehydration and infection. I would call your son's doctor and see if there is anything they recommend for the itching. Hugs...
Ralgj
by April on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:29 AM
Could he take some Benadryl? I would call his doctor. Maybe some hydrocortisone or Benadryl cream for his hands? Not sure. Ask the doctor about those. If he doesn't eat or chew his hands. Oatmeal baths?

Sorry to hear about your son!! I hope he feels better soon! Hugs!
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:24 AM
I agree with the baking Soda bath, but just a small amount. Also if you have or can find coconut oil, apply a small amount to the area. It keeps it moist and coconut oil has antibacterial properties. My son had HFM twice in a short time span a few years ago and the first round he was just a carrier. My nephew showed up with it shortly after the boys had played together. Ben was super cranky but never showed any physical signs. Low and behold, his very pregnant ABA therapist was diagnosed with it a few weeks later. So it had to have been passed through him. I felt so bad. Adults don't normally get it but I guess the pregnancy hormones can change you body makeup and make you more susceptible.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM

I'd say do something along the same lines as poison ivy for the itching .... calamine lotion?

That totally sucks, this is one thing i pray my daughter never gets.

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM

I'm so glad you are getting some good tips here! I hope your son feels better very soon! Hugs.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM
No experience with that but I'll say a prayer he feels better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)