Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
Do any of you homeschool? How is it? How do you even go about doing it? Is it costly?
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't. I have a few friends who homeschool and one has an almost 12 year old boy with autism and he's lower functioning and she works really hard with him.. And I know it can be stressful for her but he's making progress. I would lean more towards cyber school for Ashton if we go that route
Bobcatridge
by Carol on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this
We home school my 14 yr old with a distance learning program. For my daughter the home school environment is much better than regular. Emotionally she simply can't do regular school. Homeschooling takes a lot of intense work on my part. It is not easy but I think it is better for my daughter.
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I started homeschooling in the fall after the first half of the semester was a disaster. Ben is in K and from October to Christmas it was great but we have struggled some since then. But he has struggled in everything, so it's not just school. Ben also attended ABA so he does a half day of Aba and half day of school. Ben was already pretty advanced so there hasn't been much to at least keep him on track with his K peers. Since I really just jumped in not knowing I purchased a curriculum that was a little more than I expected but if you have more time to prepare you can do it much cheaper. I know a lot of states are holding their homeschooling conferences around this time, you might look into groups in your state and see if there's is much help out there.
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM

My daughter is homeschooled. She is on the lower end of the spectrum and school just wasn't working for her. She developed a phobia to learning so we pulled her out to homeschool. We work with an Ed therapist / psychologist who develops her curriculum. She spends 8 hours a week at their facility, 4 of those hours working 1:1 with them & the remaining four hours working with her babysitter who they are training to teach her. She and the babysitter then work at least 1 more hour at home each day. My husband and I work on life skills in the evenings & weekends with her. It is intense but I have a much more calm, focused and happy child than when she was in outside the home school. For now, it works.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM
i am going to flat out selfishly say no i dont. i dont think i could handle it. i think they are much better with the discipline of school. though when i wanted accomadations for my son they said they'd be willing to help me set up a home program, but no, i made them made the appropriate things happen at school.

but i have a few mom friends who homeschool and they love it.they are in a group of a few families who get together on mondays, are taught the lessons by other moms or teachers, then the rest of the week they work at their own pace. that is one benefit for the moms i know is that they have their own mommy network for themselves.
_ethansmommy
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:50 AM
Thank you for being so honest in saying that. My ex had mentioned maybe it was best for homeschooling, for me its the same way. I don't think I could do it, it's too much. I'm pregnant so soon there will be 2 under 3yrs

Quoting magmommy: i am going to flat out selfishly say no i dont. i dont think i could handle it. i think they are much better with the discipline of school. though when i wanted accomadations for my son they said they'd be willing to help me set up a home program, but no, i made them made the appropriate things happen at school.

but i have a few mom friends who homeschool and they love it.they are in a group of a few families who get together on mondays, are taught the lessons by other moms or teachers, then the rest of the week they work at their own pace. that is one benefit for the moms i know is that they have their own mommy network for themselves.
magmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:29 AM
there's benefits and difficulties in either way, but you will be the one to do it, so if you don't feel sure about it then there's no judgement for you not being able or willing. if your ex had some legit reasons he thought you should that then you can consider them, but you will be the one to do the day to day work. you have very little ones! don't feel bad which ever way you choose. is your little one in preschool now?or are you just preparing for k?

Quoting _ethansmommy: Thank you for being so honest in saying that. My ex had mentioned maybe it was best for homeschooling, for me its the same way. I don't think I could do it, it's too much. I'm pregnant so soon there will be 2 under 3yrs

Quoting magmommy: i am going to flat out selfishly say no i dont. i dont think i could handle it. i think they are much better with the discipline of school. though when i wanted accomadations for my son they said they'd be willing to help me set up a home program, but no, i made them made the appropriate things happen at school.

_ethansmommy
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I was asking because of my almost 8yr old daughter who is experiencing extreme difficulties in school right now. I'm having baby #4. My two oldest children are on the spectrum

Quoting magmommy: there's benefits and difficulties in either way, but you will be the one to do it, so if you don't feel sure about it then there's no judgement for you not being able or willing. if your ex had some legit reasons he thought you should that then you can consider them, but you will be the one to do the day to day work. you have very little ones! don't feel bad which ever way you choose. is your little one in preschool now?or are you just preparing for k?

Quoting _ethansmommy: Thank you for being so honest in saying that. My ex had mentioned maybe it was best for homeschooling, for me its the same way. I don't think I could do it, it's too much. I'm pregnant so soon there will be 2 under 3yrs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)