Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meltdowns

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hi guys. My daughter is 3 and is Autistic and has SPD. Today I complained to my landlord about the very loud music my downstairs neighbors have been playing because it really causes her to meltdown and be aggressive with herself. She told me they had complained about my daughter making noise. I can't really do much about that nor will I hit her. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells now and I just want to get out of my lease. Am I over reacting and is me terminating over landlord asking me to have her be quiet a possibility for breaking my lease?
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:06 AM

My husband is an attorney who's had similar cases. They cannot evict you if your daughter has an autism spectrum medical diagnosis and she is "too loud." You would be able to file a lawsuit with the ADA (American Disability Act). Hugs! Welcome to the group :)

magmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM
it must be hard to live so close to others. they seem to have no respect or understanding. is there any possible place where things may be more tolerable. i know its hard for you both for her to have meltdowns. very hard. if others only got a fraction of what that's like they would be way more accomadating. moms here in this group really get it. to me it sounds like reason enough to get out of the contract. i dont know legal wise but it sounds reasonable to me. lots of love. welcome to the group.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM
I'm re-reading your post. Some landlords my let you out of a contracted lease early. I don't know if there is a penalty, you'd have to read the terms laid out to determine that. Is moving what you really want, or do you just want your neighbors to be quiet?

By the way, we had the same problem once with a neighbor banging on the wall because of my son's screaming. I left a letter for my neighbor letting him know my son has autism and we never heard from him again. Luckily the frequency of my son's screaming improved over time also.
Ralgj
by April on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:42 AM
Hi! Welcome to the group. I don't think you are overreacting. If your living environment isn't working that's a big deal. Talk to the landlord and see what you can work out, maybe you can terminate early. Or maybe talk to your neighbors and see if you can come to an understanding. Maybe they just don't understand your situation. Good luck!
2panda7
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Talk about deja vu, we just went though this all at the last place we lived! We moved due to our lease being up and them not willing to renew to us. We are on an end on first floor by families with other kids and haven't had a single complaint since.plus I think this place is better soundproofed! I'd see if you can either go out of your current lease or see about moving to a first floor unit due to it being out of your control. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)