Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids Bingo!

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

I had to share this. Friday night Nick and I went to a kids bingo that was through his school. They had it at the fire house close to us. It seemed like it was going to be nice. The prizes were toys. Then they had raffle items too. I explained what Bingo actually is to Nicolas. We have played sight word Bingo before so he knew the game. He seemed excited about it. (Nick can have a difficult time with loosing on stuff like this though) So, I was taking a chance. But, I also thought that since it was through school, most of the people will be understanding if he had a meltdown. 

We got there about 20 minutes early. Picked our seats and went to get a couple raffles. He picked which ones. Then we walked outside till it started. He got a ring pop from the food stand. As we were waiting for it to start, he kept saying how loud it was. I agreed and asked if he was ok. He said he was. Through the whole thing he used the bathroom about 4 times. He does this when it's over whelming. He did great playing though. During intermission we went into the hallway and ran for the whole 10 minutes. Then, he asked to leave but I talked him into staying so we could see if we won the raffle. Which we did win!!! He won an Orioles basket. He was so excited. All the other kids that won stuff would be happy, but there was a big difference between him and the other kids. He was literally jumping up and down. Yelling that he won the orioles!!! He was soooo happy! I truthfully haven't seen him like that in a long time. 

So, it was a great night. He walks around with the necklace and bracelet that came with it. and talks about the bobble heads and how he won them. He will tell you the number that was called. Then today, the PTA president put up a post on facebook thanking everyone for coming. and thanking all the extra people from the firehouse and Nick's teacher for helping. So, I commented that it was a fun night and thanked everyone for putting in the time to have this event for the kids. She replied that she was happy to see Nick so excited to win the basket. And that it was very cute. After I said that he has been carrying them around all weekend, she said that's what makes it so much fun. She knows Nick is in special ed, but she couldn't know how big this was for us! Another woman on the PTA does know that Nick has asd, but I'm not sure if she has said anything to anyone. (Only told her because she used to work with autistic children before.) This night could have gone the other way. But, Nick winning the raffle was all worth it. And he put a smile on EVERYONE's face! Our kids really are a one of a kind aren't they? They can have the most intense negative emotions but they also can have just as intense of positive emotions too. And those moments make it all worth it. Doesn't it? 

I took this picture right at the end of him jumping up and down with the orioles basket. 

by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:52 PM
Great picture and story!!
by April on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:55 PM
Awe! What a cutie. So glad he had fun and won the basket.
by Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM

I'm so glad he had fun! I'm so impressed that it was noisy and he decided to stay anyway! How great is that!

by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 8:24 PM

That's great! My son loves to play bingo too but if he doesn't win, he gets very upset and will blurt out without thinking "this sucks" 'this is the worst day ever" people often give him that look like why are you acting like that because even though he's almost 13, having autism and having challenges with emotional regulation, it is difficult...he often says this when things don't go his way..but when he wins he is super excited! So glad your son had fun! He looks super happy to have won the basket!

by Member on Mar. 16, 2016 at 8:47 AM
This is awesome and I love the pic! Just fabulous!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)