Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Communicating with school

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM
  • 27 Replies

How much communication do you have with your child's school? With the teacher and with any of the therapists your child is receiving therapy from?

I have like zero communication with these ppl. Do I just have to constantly ask for updates? Do they not see any reason to give me any type of information at all???

If I'm concerned about something in class, I email the teacher. And she's usually good about answering me, although she ignored my last email. Last year I wrote the diagnostician asking about testing and basically told her I didn't know what the speech or occupational therapists were doing with my child because I have NO contact with them. She acted like that was crazy and I should be in communication with them, I think so too. She contacted them and the OT called me and we discussed what she was doing, but the speech therapist never did contact me. Last year Cheyanne had consult only with the teacher, the st never actually worked with her. But she does this year .... so I just emailed her to ask about things. I have asked the teacher about what the speech therapist does and she was like you should contact her if you have any more questions ....... not even realizing that I DON'T EVEN KNOW THIS WOMAN'S FLIPPING NAME.

So last night I looked up the speech therapist for my daughter's school and emailed her. I got a reply that she was not my daughter's speech therapist, our school has 2 therapists and Cheyanne must be with the other one  ..... one who isn't even listed on the school's website. And she wrote her name but didn't provide the CORRECT email address. So I still don't have this person's email and she hasn't responded to me yet. 

I just don't get it. I feel like I'm showing interest in what is happening with my child at school, I am always pushing for more information. But i feel like I must not be because I'm being completely ignored. I feel like I don't exist. Sorry, just feel a bit crazy right now.

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Oh and was going through my emails and realized I wrote the diagnostician at the beginning of this school year and she never replied. I was focused on the craziness of aba therapy last year and must have forgotten I wrote the email. I am a very passive person, I dont' know how to stir up trouble. What am I supposed to be doing? If I don't receive a reply, email it again and cc the principal? What if the principal ignores me too?

_ethansmommy
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM
I recently went through this just before spring break. I'm pregnant so I probably didn't need to flip shit the way I did, but oh well! Lol. It started when I saw the small at little note ever on her homework page that said my daughter needed more snacks for class and to send something different because all she has eaten so far this year was such and such. My little letter said" if you knew anything at all about my daughter you would know that that's all she eats!! You want her eating something different by all means give it a go yourself! Do not send me tiny little notes again, I expect better communication from you people! All I hear is how terrible she is doing right now and I get calls on a regular basis where I hear her screaming in the back ground!" There's more but you get the idea lol. I reached my breaking point and after that everyone involved with my daughter AND my son (they are both on the spectrum and their classes are next to eachother) contacted me to apologize and asked what kind of communication I was looking for.

I just want weekly updates and they worked it out to be sure I'm getting that. I also want to hear when they are having awesome days, not just the really bad all the time.

You need to write a letter or make a phone call or request a meeting or something stating that you aren't very happy with the lack of communication you have been receiving. Call the school and speak with the teacher and if that doesn't work then call the principle. Good luck mamas, it's not easy sometimes. I just got lucky this pregnancy has filled me with rage and I'm done dealing with bs.
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:04 PM
We get a paper from the teacher about his day and she can write notes about anything out of the ordinary. The therapists I usually only hear from at conference time. I do have their email address if I have a question. I also drop him off at school so I talk to the teacher a couple times a week at least.
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:06 PM
You can talk to the receptionist at the school and ask for the names and email addresses and try that. Or try to talk to the teacher in person.

LOL When my NT son starts Kindergarten I am going to have a hard time. No daily updates.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM

That's awful you don't have the proper speech therapist name and contact info! I'm sorry for that. I talk to Ethan's teacher daily, his SLP whenever I need to and same with his OT at school. Since I'm on campus for drop-off and pick-ups, I often run into them. Does Cheyenne's teacher have a notebook she communicates with you in? Some teachers do that. If not then she really needs to respond to ALL your emails, that's just my feelings.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:12 PM
I drop her off and pick her up and the teacher will share tidbits at that time if there's anything notable.

The reason I'm wanting contact with the speech therapist is they are still trying to teach my daughter pecs against my wishes. I told tgem its not working, they have no measurable progress, yet they are ignoring this fact and dping the same thing over and over when its not working! I've talked to the teacher twice about this, once at a parent/teacher meeting and still it continues.
Thats what my email was about to the diagnostician ... That i wanted the pecs goal removed from her iep. And that email was never responded to.

Quoting perrywinkle: We get a paper from the teacher about his day and she can write notes about anything out of the ordinary. The therapists I usually only hear from at conference time. I do have their email address if I have a question. I also drop him off at school so I talk to the teacher a couple times a week at least.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:15 PM
There is a commication page that's sent home daily. At the beginning of the year, she was writing quick notes but after less than 2 months into school she got lazy and started putting a smiley face stamp on every day.

Quoting rebecca_new_mom:

That's awful you don't have the proper speech therapist name and contact info! I'm sorry for that. I talk to Ethan's teacher daily, his SLP whenever I need to and same with his OT at school. Since I'm on campus for drop-off and pick-ups, I often run into them. Does Cheyenne's teacher have a notebook she communicates with you in? Some teachers do that. If not then she really needs to respond to ALL your emails, that's just my feelings.

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Boo! She should be communicating with you!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom: There is a commication page that's sent home daily. At the beginning of the year, she was writing quick notes but after less than 2 months into school she got lazy and started putting a smiley face stamp on every day.
Quoting rebecca_new_mom:

Ralgj
by April on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM
I drop off and pick up Griff so we chat a little each day. She will tell me how he did and how the day went. If I have questions I ask then. I'm the only parent who comes inside for pick up and drop off but I don't care. I have his teachers cell number and we will text back and forth with issues and concerns. His teacher is very attentive and sweet. We get OT and speech notes after each session. I email them if I have questions. Or if I see them on the hall I stop them and ask questions.

I don't think the way they are putting you off is ok. And they shouldn't be using pecs against your wishes. Maybe this is one of those times where you have to fight a little bit. There is no excuse for unanswered emails. Can you cc the principal or whoever is in charge?

As you know I get it and feel your frustration.
Simran81
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM

That's really frustrating! I would be upset too. I am yet to deal with these issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)