Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scripts and controlling our speech..

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

Nowadays my son(5) has started telling us what to say.  For example he will say "It's roasting in here, say- the air conditioner is broken". Me : "The air conditioner is broken." He : "Oh, I got to fix it." When I saw a scene in "The brilliant Mind"  where the boy talks about the dead prawn, I realised it might be common. I was actually surprised that my son does the exact same thing, the same expression on the face, tone of voice. At times he enacts a long script by telling me to say certain dialogues in between. He memorises the dialogues from cartoons he watches. Might be another form of stimming?

Sometimes it's not a script from a cartoon, for example: He:"Don't take baby for a walk". Helper: "Baby is bored". He: "No, say baby needs fresh air". Any other response and he gets upset.

Sometimes he does it a lot, keeps telling me what I need to say. Since he is not asking me to do anything, I say whatever he wants me to say. Does your child do that?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:45 AM

It is called "echolalia."

Ralgj
by April on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM
My son isn't verbal so he doesn't do that. I'm not sure how to stop it from happening or even if you should try. However, if it is upsetting him when you don't say what he wants you may want to think about ways to stop it. I don't know how far he will take it? You don't want it to run his life. I hope some other moms have ideas for you!!
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:56 AM
Just read your other post. Could he be telling you what to say since you tell him want to say? Like bye?? Just a thought.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this
This scripting is an anxiety reliever. Knowing whats coming, the interaction it all reduces anxiety.
They talked at this at Sam's hospital.
I think IF kept to 1 time occasionally... It may not be bad... Since he is 5... A "fun" game where he knows the answers and is play... I think its Ok... But several times I think starts getting very OCD/Anxiety.
I think of it as a book or video- kids watch over & over for comfort. Id think since interactions are unpredictable & (Im guessing uncomfortable for him?... Am I right?) this "script" is a safer interaction then really talking?
Can your son tolerate at ALL if you don't play the game? Or if you postpone like "i cant play now, after I xyz Ill play."
A_McCool
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I did it.  Everything had a script, and you better not deviate from it, lol.  I still converse in book, tv, and movie quotes quite often, but I've outgrown the need to control the response.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:07 AM
I too LOVE a good movie quote!
It was one of the things I loved about my hubby! He quoted a Seinfeld and I just loved that he did that! :) still today 20 yes later we will respond with an occasional quote and giggle.

But, I definitely don't meltdown if he doesn't...

Quoting A_McCool:

I did it.  Everything had a script, and you better not deviate from it, lol.  I still converse in book, tv, and movie quotes quite often, but I've outgrown the need to control the response.

Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:37 PM

I believe on days he is stressed he does it more and other days not so much. He tried doing it to one evaluator at school testing, that's the time I told him its only a game he can play with us at home but not anybody else. I haven't postponed it yet, I felt he really needed me to say that,  but I will try it next time and see his reaction.

Quoting SamMom912: This scripting is an anxiety reliever. Knowing whats coming, the interaction it all reduces anxiety. They talked at this at Sam's hospital. I think IF kept to 1 time occasionally... It may not be bad... Since he is 5... A "fun" game where he knows the answers and is play... I think its Ok... But several times I think starts getting very OCD/Anxiety. I think of it as a book or video- kids watch over & over for comfort. Id think since interactions are unpredictable & (Im guessing uncomfortable for him?... Am I right?) this "script" is a safer interaction then really talking? Can your son tolerate at ALL if you don't play the game? Or if you postpone like "i cant play now, after I xyz Ill play."

Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I didnt know there are other forms of echolalia, I knew the one where children repeat what you say immediately after. Thanks for letting me know!

Quoting MixedCooke:

It is called "echolalia."

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its a fine line between helping him manage anxiety and supporting it. :(
Nothing I ever figured out how to do.
Anxiety feels awful BUT it doesn't hurt you... So our kids need to learn to sit more with it to manage it.
I think the postponing will help him with that.
Hugs!!!! I totally get how hard this is!

Quoting Simran81:

I believe on days he is stressed he does it more and other days not so much. He tried doing it to one evaluator at school testing, that's the time I told him its only a game he can play with us at home but not anybody else. I haven't postponed it yet, I felt he really needed me to say that,  but I will try it next time and see his reaction.

Quoting SamMom912: This scripting is an anxiety reliever. Knowing whats coming, the interaction it all reduces anxiety.
I think IF kept to 1 time occasionally... It may not be bad... Since he is 5... A "fun" game where he knows the answers and is play... I think its Ok... But several times I think starts getting very OCD/Anxiety.
I think of it as a book or video- kids watch over & over for comfort. Id think since interactions are unpredictable & (Im guessing uncomfortable for him?... Am I right?) this "script" is a safer interaction then really talking?
Can your son tolerate at ALL if you don't play the game? Or if you postpone like "i cant play now, after I xyz Ill play."

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:17 AM
I don't limit the scripting of movies, TV shows and books. I have come to the realization that people lots of people use lines from their favorite movies, shows and books. It's an interesting ice breaker leading to a possible friendship.

Quoting Simran81:

Quoting SamMom912: This scripting is an anxiety reliever. Knowing whats coming, the interaction it all reduces anxiety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)