Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD: FRIDAY (04/08)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM
  • 9 Replies

surrenderI have met other Moms at the therapy place and at her specialized preschool but not necessarily other ASD Moms with girls.  It is difficult for me to meet other Moms in general and add autism to the mix and that much more difficult!  I am a loner overall but I still would like more IRL Moms that I can relate to besides you, my long distance ladies. 

Do you have any other autism Mom friends IRL?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Most parents I have met at local groups or at my son's old preschool, cannot relate to us. Our issues are incessant talking, arguing ,questioning, rigidity, food aversions. I am yet to meet another parent whose chid on the spectrum has these issues. I go to local meetups occasionally but we don't feel at home there either. I have not been able to connect to any other mom i have met. This group is the only place where I feel connected.

Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM
We have a local support group that meets once a month so I have met a few families from that. We have a range of ages and abilities in the group so it's a nice mix. Then our ABA center offers a support group/parent training every week. Some days all we do is talk, some days we actually review the material set forth by the center. There is currently only 4 of us but it's still very helpful. Even just being able to talk to adults is great. I mean last week we were discussing if positive reinforcement would work for adult children and husbands...
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:30 AM
I have no friends with ASD kids IRL :(
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:39 AM
I have 1 friend who totally gets it... Her 3 children - 2LD (11 &7) 1HFA 8, and although overwhelmed with a house renovation and suing our school district & 3 kids, 2 dogs and a hubby who is always at work- add in therapy, etc for kiddos... Shes busy!!!! Lol.. But she totally gets it!
Another friend I met at a support group who lives 45 min away- but we text. Also 3 kids, bipolar(15) , HFA(12) and NT(9) and a teacher.. Again busy but is very supportive.
Another friend is a retired SpEd teacher in her late 50s. But she is going thru a lot...

Then the 2 who upset me yesterday a teacher 3 kids (anxiety & anorexia -recovered 19, 13 and 10 all girls) and a friend SAHM 2 kids. Anxiety 10 and 6... But they DONT get it.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:41 AM
I use to have 2 other friends who's kids were PDD but they've done well in public school would get mad at my frustration w/ the school, really defending the school.. So I just kinda stopped calling & reaching out.
At Christmas they send cards & texts saying "we have to get together"... But we never do.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:03 AM
No, there is no one that I can connect with. I have never been to a support group. And the only one I know of is about 45 min away. I do talk and really like this woman I met at Nicks therapy. But her daughter doesnt autism. She is in a wheelchair and non-verbal. But, we talk about the kids and she asks for advice dealing with our school district. She's having trouble finding support because her daughter is not autism. And there is several different things going on with her. So, that's as close I get to someone that can understand a little of my struggles.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM
I have 2 close friends who go to my church and have boys the same age as Ashton (they pretty much grew up together) and are on the spectrum. I have another good mom friend I met through Ashton's school and her son and Ashton are good friends but he no longer goes to Ashtons school and she has 3 very young kids as well so we don't see each other as much. I have a lot of casual friends I have made through the years that have kids on the spectrum. I also have some close friends who have only typical kids and honestly it is easier for me to get together with them or do play dates with them more often than my friend who have kids with autism.. Our schedules always seem conflicting. I also have some really close friends that are a good 20 years or more older than me and a few of those ladies are my rock! I have guy friends too because I love talking sports and play in a few fantasy football and baseball leagues.. My hubby is in the leagues too so it's not weird or anything ;)
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM
That sounds a bit like oppositional defiant disorder.

Quoting Simran81:

Most parents I have met at local groups or at my son's old preschool, cannot relate to us. Our issues are incessant talking, arguing ,questioning, rigidity, food aversions. I am yet to meet another parent whose chid on the spectrum has these issues. I go to local meetups occasionally but we don't feel at home there either. I have not been able to connect to any other mom i have met. This group is the only place where I feel connected.

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM

There are some autism moms that want to be my friend but I've been in a funk lately. Pushing some people away, just unhappy. And exhausted. So I'm not putting forth much effort. I don't really have any deep friendships with fellow moms right now that I see in person. Maybe once I pull myself out of my funk that will change. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)