Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicaid

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM
  • 17 Replies
I have guardianship of my soon to be 19 yr son with Aspergers. He has aged out and lost his medicaid insurance. Does anyone know the process to reapply. As a minor they counted both out incomes. As a now adult do they only count his? Does he have to apply or can I apply for him. Just wondering before I call, the staff is so unfriendly make asking questions uncomfortable. Any help or advice? Stressing out here.
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM

As an adult, he has to apply.  They will look at his income as well as all other family's income.  If he was living on his own, just his income.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:56 AM
Also look into getting ssi for him then he automatically gets Medicaid. Because he is disabled
karenax
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM
He receives ssi. Originally through his dad who collects but he qualified for his own with his diagnosis. So that would qualify him?

Quoting jaydensmom1726: Also look into getting ssi for him then he automatically gets Medicaid. Because he is disabled
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM
Yes! If you have SSI, then you are eligible for Medicaid. Just get it put in his name now.

Quoting karenax: He receives ssi. Originally through his dad who collects but he qualified for his own with his diagnosis. So that would qualify him?

Quoting jaydensmom1726: Also look into getting ssi for him then he automatically gets Medicaid. Because he is disabled
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:10 PM
In Idaho it does so I imagine it should where you live

Quoting karenax: He receives ssi. Originally through his dad who collects but he qualified for his own with his diagnosis. So that would qualify him?

2panda7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Yes you should, this is how it is for us (we are in Minnesota). Also you can apply for guardianship to be able to apply,but I don't know how that works or how that effects him qualifying either (my sons only 8, so we haven't look into any of that yet). 

Quoting Nickmom1118: Yes! If you have SSI, then you are eligible for Medicaid. Just get it put in his name now.

2panda7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Oh I just reread your post, so maybe since you have guardianship you apply for him? I don't know, he doesn't have a social worker through your county office to offer support for this?

karenax
by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 6:44 AM
No. The workers here are awful to work with. They will send you a list of things you need but when you bring all they ask for they always claim you forgot something and give like two days to get it in or they'll close your case. It's ridiculous.

Quoting 2panda7:

Oh I just reread your post, so maybe since you have guardianship you apply for him? I don't know, he doesn't have a social worker through your county office to offer support for this?

karenax
by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 7:10 AM
He was getting it originally through his dad, now he was approved and gets it for his Aspergers. They piggy backed his with his dads because the amount was higher. I am his payee. I don't have to save any receipts.

Quoting Nickmom1118: Yes! If you have SSI, then you are eligible for Medicaid. Just get it put in his name now.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try to find an advocate or group to help you out.  In my area it is called the ARC or the Autism Society of your state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)