Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my 8 year old to eat different food?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

He like nuggets, fries, pizza, hotdogs and lunchables. His dad says he eats chicken and a few veggies at his house but won't when he's with me.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM
You are NOT alone!!

With typical lids "you cant force it in... You cant force it out"... (Eating and potty training) is a mantra Ive heard! Add in the complications of sensory issues with texture, anxiety issues.. Eating is actually one of the most complex things we do. It involves ALL our senses and like 32 muscles!! Its a lot!

Do you like to read?
Cheri Fraker's "Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child’s Diet" was a big help to me in understanding what might be getting in my kiddos way..

She gives helpful tips like finding a food you kid eats and branching out with similar colors tastes textures to make the "baby steps" to keep anxiety down and stretch out of comfort zones

Ralgj
by April on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. My son struggles with eating. He eats well but only foods he likes. Won't try new things. So now advice just understanding. Hugs!
luvnoah10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:18 PM

We are in the same boat here. My son will be 13 next week..still doesn't try new foods..eats the same lunchables everyday in his lunchbox..likes more breakfast foods than lunch and dinner foods but pretty much same foods, same brands, etc. He went to a church event this evening with a friend.Cover charge was 5 dollars..which paid for supper..pizza (which he doesn't eat)..thought maybe they would have chips or something for him to munch on..nope..I paid $5 for a small bottle of water..that is all he took..so he was starving when we got home at 730 tonight..thought maybe he would try pizza since 50 other kids were eating it.. nope..they offered the $5 back but it was also going to a good cause (a child they sponser in another country so I said to put it towards that :) so money really wasn't wasted after all

AgentZero
by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I would make those foods with hidden fruits and vegetables.  With a food processor you can make those foods super healthy and won't have the struggle.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Give him a new food to try each day.  If he doesn't like it, fine, at least he tried it.

Noahs-Mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM

OMGsh I am there with you! 

I have talked to countless therapist about this. They said put a small amount of a new food on a small plate so he can see it and it is totally separate from his other food. 

Do not push him to eat it.... Do this a few times so he can see the food and get use to it.... Talk about the food... maybe have him help in the kitchen while you and he make the new food. Hopefully it will help.

My oldest (9) eats Tyson chicken nuggets, Greek vanilla yogurt, honey nut cheerios dry, cheese apples and applesauce. That is his whole diet. I was told if they eat enough that they grow and gain weight don't worry about it. Maybe try supplements in a chewable???  

Debrajmom
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 8:52 PM
Just don't buy garbage like Lunchables and hot dogs,nuggets, and fries. Offer healthy food instead.My DDs are not allowed to eat
any of those things. DD8 and DD11 are used to having healthier things so they never ask for stuff like that. He gets hungry enough he will eat better things.
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM
I started hiding healthy things in food ds would eat.

Meatloaf of meatballs with hidden carrots green beans onion

Mac n cheese with hidden carrots and onion

Mashed potatoes with cauliflower

Sweet potato fries

Cheesey spaghetti squash

Acorn or butternut squash with brown sugar and butter

Spaghetti sauce loaded with onion garlic peppers tomatoes squash zucinni

I also started having him help cook some things or pick out one new thing to try at the store. If he tried the new thing (3 bites) he could decide if he liked it or not. He also got a treat for trying the new food (pudding, ice cream, cookie, ect)
2panda7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Yeah we still struggle with this. Ethan will eat chicken (not chicken nuggets unless it's Fast food), pork, hamburger, ham (is hit or miss),hard  salami (usually only when we are shopping and he gets hungry enough). He often picks out just the meat with speghetti or beef stroganoff (sometimes will eat the noodles). With feeding therapy they told me he'd eat corn dogs, but every time I send them with to school they end up getting thrown out. He will eat fruits, but not much in the way of veggies (cooked carrots, corn sometimes,once in a while baked potatoes or mashed potatoes, but very rarely). We seem to have better luck with some things that are gluten free, and not so much others. He loves rice and will often take seconds of that or chicken. 

KatAl1312
by on Apr. 10, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Don't buy nuggets, fries, pizza, hot dogs and lunchables? If it isn't in the house, he'll find something else to eat, preferably something healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)