Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just not making sense...

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM
  • 28 Replies
Sams TsH levels are still high..
His T3 and T4 are ok... But that could mean subclinical Hashimoto's...

He is always tired & lethargic. Low energy.
He is moody. Depression (?)

Or thyroid? Or both?!

His metabolism is so weird. Ya'll remember he didn't eat for like 18 days (he did drink water & milk sometimes) he never lost a pound. He isnt skinny or fat!

& he is SO little 49" tall at 9.5.

He rarely eats. They are amazed at how little he eats.
His cholesterol is great. They joked that this kid could live on milk & chips and ironically have excellent Cholesterol!

Its just so odd!
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NYmama96
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM
I know it would make me nervous but at least he seems OK.

Can you get him to drink stuff like pediasure when he won't eat?
magmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
its so hard to not understand whats going on. you can't treat it or help it if you cant get to the problem. hes in great care though. hopefully they will figure him out. though he seems like a touch cookie to understsand.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM
He is eating again. This was when he first went away... He is in an intensive anxiety program away from us right now. :( he was so anxious he couldn't/wouldn't eat.

But it was just bizarre that after so long he didn't lose weight... Im just bringing the not eating up to mention how weird his metabolism is that not eating for so long didn't effect him?!

Quoting NYmama96: I know it would make me nervous but at least he seems OK.

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM
That is weird. I wish I had some advice for you. Where do you go with this information?
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM
They just ran a ton of blood work on him before you sent him, right? Didn't they do an auto immune panel? That will tell you if he has hashimoto's, regardless of the thyroid numbers. That's how we learned of Macy's, along with some fluctuating thyroid numbers.

Can't believe he lost no weight not eating for 18 days!
NYmama96
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM
That's a good thing I would guess still weird though.

Quoting SamMom912: He is eating again. This was when he first went away... He is in an intensive anxiety program away from us right now. :( he was so anxious he couldn't/wouldn't eat.

But it was just bizarre that after so long he didn't lose weight... Im just bringing the not eating up to mention how weird his metabolism is that not eating for so long didn't effect him?!

Quoting NYmama96: I know it would make me nervous but at least he seems OK.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Oh, and when we confirmed Macy's Hoshi, her TsH levels kept raising at monthly blood draws but T3 and T4 were always normal. But like i said, the additional autoimmune panel found the problem.
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 12, 2016 at 6:31 AM
Very strange. I sure hope you are able to get things figured out. You would definately think after that long he would have lost some weight.
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Has he had heavy metals testing? We were just talking with our geneticist about copper levels when Ben's Tsh came back odd compared to t3 and t4. She was saying when zinc levels are low (which ben's was on the low end but still in a safe range) it can cause your copper levels to skyrocket and lead to odd tsh levels. So she ordered heavy metals testing on Ben. We don't have the results yet but it might be a start for Sam...
karene999
by Karen on Apr. 12, 2016 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, Hashimoto's is low thyroid function, I go through periods of extreme fatigue and depression. 

Hashimoto's makes it very difficult to lose weight, which could be why even after barely eating no significant change.  Does he have a goiter?

Hashimoto's is easily treated with medication, although keep an eye out on the fatigue because that could mean his meds are off. IMO having Hashimoto's I would want them to treat him for that before medication for depression. As the tyroid meds might eliminate the need for the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)