Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM
  • 21 Replies
Sorry Ive been so out of touch.

Last Wednesday Sam had a really rough time. Another peer was upsetting him (takes 2 to Tango, Sam was just as responsible) and they both got in big trouble. Sam was out of control and not being safe so they sent him to LL "lower level" (also called lockdown) for more intensive observation and more structured environment.
Sadly with that, it truly limited our time together during a visit weekend. :(

There were some health concerns. His glucose levels were at 41 and in LL several nurses are there 24/7 (in Center where he typically is- 1 nurse 8 hrs a day). And someone was checking on Sam and his health (vitals, finger prick test) every 15 minutes. So, was easier for me to sleep! Lol... Knowing he wouldn't slip into a coma!! (Dramatic! Lol)

Anyway, was definitely lethargic tired for the 7 hrs total we saw him over 3 days. Yawning a LOT. He did eat 3 meals with us; so it was good we saw him eat. :) our interaction was compromised since we were stuck in a "playroom" watching a movie both days. (Which doesn't provide a lot of interaction) But Monday we had a picnic & a short walk.

He had an opportunity to go back to the Center Monday to re assimilate for a 3 hr period; but after 1 hr refused to participate (in "gym class- a high ropes course- um... Hummm my physically weak, lethargic, uncoordinated kid who doesn't like being outside refused gym? ) his opportunity was also poorly timed as it was right after we left (a hard adjustment time for any kid) so not surprised it bombed.
They are hoping to get him back to Center today?

We also have a meeting today. Our usual weekly conf call where hubby & I are asking for a timeline. Its 8 weeks yesterday ! How much longer? Whats the plan?
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubby & I had a nice weekend in area. Art museum, walk around the lake, a hike at a state park, dinner at Honeypie an awesome lil restaurant we like & breakfast at Blues Egg (fantastic food!)

But holy cow do Wisconsin people like their alcohol!!! Floored by how much booze is around. People drink at 9 in the AM?!
These restaurants have bloody Marys the size of a bowl that come with a beer!! Like your drink needs a drink?!?!
So funny!!!
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:43 AM

I was just wondering if you'd discussed discharge and outpatient yet. You'll have to let us know as that comes along too. When's the next time you will see him? I think asking him to do a ropes course in his current state is a little much! Yay for him eating and you having a picnic. :) I'm sure just seeing him was a huge relief. Hopefully next time you will get to do more fun things on outings together!

Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM

I am so sorry to hear that Sam hit a rough patch and you weren't able to see him as much.  I want to smh with the whole starting him back and the first thing is PE - these are supposed to be the experts!!  Don't they see that wasn't a good idea?  What happened to setting him up for success?  i guess they see it that he has to fit the program and the program won't change around him - kind of like life, you can't control the world and need to figure out how to live in it - but he is struggling - that's the whole point of why he is there so help him!  ugh!

I hope he recovers quickly and gets back on the road of progress so he can come home soon!!

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM

I hope you get answers soon. It could be they simply do not know. So scary with super low glucose levels. Did this ever happen at home with him not eating?

Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Why are glucose levels low, has it ever happened before. Sorry to hear that he had a rough time last week. Is it a new peer, maybe their personalities don't match.

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM

LOL Ill have to mention the drinking to my friends that live in WI.

Im sorry he had a rough week, hope today he gets back to center.

My oldest got suspended again last Friday and Monday so rough week all over the place(this was his second suspension in two weeks for being physical).

(hugs) you guys are doing great. Hopefully you get the answers you want today at the meeting.

Ralgj
by April on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Sounds like a rocky weekend. I'm sorry to hear about the limited time, low blood sugar, and the problems with the other peer. I'm glad you did get to see him and have some time. I hope you get some answers on your conference call today. Hugs!!
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:19 PM

That sucks they tried to assimilate him during a time that involved gym. Why do people not think sometimes? If they had taken more careful consideration to what he'd been going thru (come on, a 9 year old having to get finger prick glucose tests done every 15 mins?????) lethargic, out of sorts, low muscle tone and they just look at him and say, he looks just about ready to try the day ...... without thinking about the fact that they were deciding right around the time gym would be taking place GRRRRR

How is he physically now? Glucose normalize on its own once he started eating? 

perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry. That is a set back, but look at the progress he is making overall. My son has anxiety and he has explosive meltdowns a couple times a month. I mean, he doesn't hurt anyone, but he does throw things and scream. Sam's ASD is not going to go away- so he is going to have meltdowns and get upset. I mean, I have "adult" meltdowns in my head all the time. My husband had a thirty minute fit about doing taxes on Sunday. We just have to learn to control it and move on. I think sometimes we expect too much from our kids- we should give them some room to fail and move on and learn from it. I think Sam will be fine and continue to improve.
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM
Also, when my blood sugar is low I am definitely out of sorts. I could just imagine how Sam feels- of course he would have problems.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)