Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Updated FINALLY******My son.... Advice welcome or prayers.

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

I lived this nightmare for 5 months. He finally came home July 15th for good. I vowed to never our him back in a place like that. Or if I had to id so everything possible before we got to that point. Since then he's been in a special needs emotional disability classroom. Its mainly for his behaviors and its been a huge improvement for him. His doctor and I tried a few med combos and found one that works for him for now. He's done tremendous here recently. He went from a level C on behavior chart to a Level A. He's stayed on his level almost 2 weeks now. His behaviors with me have changed drastically too. I could not be more proud of what I am at this point. I'm sorry it had been so long to update as its been crazy with appointments/groups/therapies and working. But I hope to start coming back on a few times a week to check in. He still has few issues but they have improved. In the quotation marks is original post.

"I don't typically post very often. I deal with mental health issues myself and my 7 year old son who is in a residential care facility. He's been diagnosed ASD, ADHD, seperation anxiety, general anxiety disorders, explosive mood disorder, intermittent mood dysregulation disorder, ODD, hypotonia, has had speech delays, is developmentally delayed in some areas, is behind for his age, also has a genetic condition known as chromosomal micro deletion syndrome 1q21.1,

He's been in their care for 2 months. He's only gotten worse. Last week I talked to director but felt it went no where. I also made a report to the hotline for what i know is a lot going on. He's been bullied by staff and other kids on unit. He's on precautions for assault- his behaviors, sexual aggression- he's had quite a few sexual behaviors towards girls, self harm- hitting himself with his cast, biting his arms/skin to make them bleed. Punching walls and doors. Getting called a fat ass bitch, getting told to shut the fuck up by staff and kids, not getting a bath for a week because they needed to have a doctors order, he's shutting down with me, he's on black ops- basically a no contact order with the kids that are bullying him and the girls. The calls for his behaviors have increased. Just a few days ago my son got body slammed and bruised his chin.

We are moving him, but finding places for him when he's only 7 has been a major challenge. It's hard fit me to write this. I'm not ok. Because of dealing with it I've turned to other things. And yes I'm in therapy and starting meds for depression and anxiety. I'm sorry if it's confusing, I'm mobile. I'll try checking in more often. I'll post our updated pics in comments."
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meg2011425
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM
This place sounds insanely awful. My heart goes out to you and your son. I don't know what advice I can give. I'm glad that you are sharing this with us, it cannot be easy at all. I hope improvements come soon and he gets a better residence. Hugs
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 5:00 AM
Oh i am so so sorry!!!
Your poor family. My heart breaks for you. :(
While i know a tad about not being with your child daily and having to give them (temporarily) over to Drs... I cant imagine how difficult it must be to watch whats going on with your child. How scary!!!

So first Id wonder IF some of the medication he was/is taking is a good fit for him. I mean, the inhibition and sexual aggression is certainly atypical and since Ive witnessed "activation" (unwanted side effects of meds 1st hand) id wonder how much of that (and even the other aggression and dysregulation (explosions and opposition) could also be activation or at least WAY more related to the GAD (fight mode of anxiety. Did you do that Genesight test that gives info on what meds match DNA?

Is there another hospital near you that you could take him too. I mean, he isn't safe or getting good care?!
I know your son has been there a long time.
Id wonder also if your insurance company can help you find alternate placement. Even if it isn't a long term solution... Temporary "good" placement would be better!

I cant imagine the stress, pressure and deep heartbreak you must be feeling. At least I take comfort in Sam being well taken care of (my gosh his hospital is like a country club!!) and not being hurt!! And the fact Sams hospital went and put him LL on more "observation" (as a precaution yo his not eating and blood sugar) as a consequence for the altercation with a peer (throwing things at one another- thank goodness no one got hurt!) was actually a benefit.

Im glad your starting some helpful meds for you. This is a difficult time. I hope they help you.

Ralgj
by April on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:32 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your son. I can't imagine how you are feeling. I do think it sounds like he needs transferred. I will pray for you both! Hugs!
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Major Major Hugs Mama. Yes, you need to move him as fast as possible. Try to find a place that will treat the medical contributors of ASD that can lead to behavior improvement (sensory, GI, sleep, nutrition/eating issues). Hearing, vision, and neuroimmune issues are common with chromosomal micro deletion syndrome 1q21.1. Because this can be inherited, it would be good for you to be checked.

Meg2011425
by Member on May. 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Most recent pic of us
Meg2011425
by Member on May. 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM
Sorry I haven't checked this until now. My ex husband and I were both checked when his genetic screening showed this. His father is a carrier of the same thing. However last year I myself was told I have mild autism I was 29.

Quoting MamaLauri:

Major Major Hugs Mama. Yes, you need to move him as fast as possible. Try to find a place that will treat the medical contributors of ASD that can lead to behavior improvement (sensory, GI, sleep, nutrition/eating issues). Hearing, vision, and neuroimmune issues are common with chromosomal micro deletion syndrome 1q21.1. Because this can be inherited, it would be good for you to be checked.

mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Awesome picture!!!!

Quoting Meg2011425:

Mobile Photo

Most recent pic of us

MikeysMom22
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Thank you for the update... hope things continue to on the right path!!!

I love the picture of you with your son smiling!!

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on May. 23, 2017 at 1:47 AM

It so hard for us to see our kids go through this and there seem to be nothing that works.  I hope you are able to find a mmore suitable situation for your son and hopefully ease some of the issues relating to his autism.  Good luck Mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)