Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First dental appointment - Update

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi, It went well overall. My son did much better than I expected. He let the dentist clean his teeth with ease. She answered all his questions, let him hold the equipement. Since he was doing so well, they decided to take xrays. He started to gag on the thing placed inside his mouth and broke down in tears. So they stopped there itself and gave him a reward. She has called us again in 5 months. She said she will try the xray again then, if not they will use laughing gas.

Hi I am yet to take an appointement. I wouldn't want to force my son or hold him down as far as we could. I wish we could find an understanding dentist. Any tips? How does your child do at the dentist's? I am quite nervous about this.

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAndrews
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried your local health department? Ours has a dental clinic that is done by several dentists in our area. I found that they tend to be very good with the children. Also, a parent/guardian is required to be with the child. 

The first few times, DD was able to sit on my lap and I just had to hold her hands. They also went step-by-step showing the tools used and letting her feel it. They also allow her to pick out her own flavor of things when applicable so there isn't any issues with that. She is a pro now at the dentist, but they still do it. They do it with all the children. 

Now, she still has issues with the brushes against her teeth, but it is tolerable.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Look for a pediatric dentist. Then ask to go there and visit the place. Explain to them your concerns and that you don't want your child held down. If they are a good fit, they will explain how they will help your child to get more comfortable. I was surprised when we started where we go. He started there at 2. (Before the diagnosis) they had to take him to the hospital to put caps on his teeth. That got us through the first 6 months because they cleaned them while asleep. The next visit was me brushing his teeth with them just looking. And each visit went a little further. My son is now 6 1/2. Last month when he went, they got flavor free toothpaste just for him! So they were able to actually clean. But the fluoride was still hard. And he still won't do X-rays. But that is what they will be working on next. I was lucky enough to have a great dentist.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 12:25 AM
I agree with Nicole's advice. Choose a pediatric dentist and tour the place first. Tell them your concerns. I've heard of ABA therapists helping out with dental appointments. Actually Ethan's ABA director came to his allergy testing last summer. It was so helpful.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 5:13 AM
Ped dentist!
Sam had been going since he was 2 as well.
Aside from xrays all typically goes well... Only 1 bad appt over the years.
sofaraway25
by on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM

we go to a pediatric dentist and matt does not tolerate it well. we've tried pretty much everything to  get him to adjust easier. he's got to be sedated at the next appointment. we tried the sitting in the lap thing and he won't go for it. he hates seeing anyone in scrubs. I would recommend trying to find one that can handle special needs kids. ours does and for awhile they were able to keep him semi calm but now it's just not happening.

neveragain17
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:11 AM
I took my daughter to a dentist that specializes in kids with special needs. I was so nervous for her first visit and to my surprise it went really well. They called us back say her in a chair on my lap took a look, (she was not letting me brush her teeth) she told me to buy ACT mouthwash for kids and when she falls asleep the use a wash cloth and the mouthwash to clean her teeth. It worked for a few months. Now she brushes her teeth , I have to help and now she even rinses on her own!
Ralgj
by April on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My son goes to a pediatric special needs dentist. They are great! My husband sits in the chair and holds him. He doesn't love it but we get through it. I think it's very important to find a dentist who is understanding. We don't experience a wait and the dentist comes right in and does all of the cleaning himself.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 21, 2016 at 8:03 AM

I finally took my daughter for her first dental appointment this year and I think our kids are about the same age, she turns 5 in May.

I searched and searched until I found an office that has experience with special needs. They are pediatric dental office but actully accept adults with special needs until age 22. They also offer several types of sedation because I know that will need to be an option if any real work needs to be done. The visit went better than I expected, they only got 1 xray and were satisfied with it. The dentist just lightly brushed her teeth with a soft, dry toothbrush and was able to take a good look at all her teeth and since everything looked good, he didn't push to do a full cleaning or get the other x rays. My dd barely tolerated all of that and I know if she ever needs an actual cleaning, they will have to sedate her. And even though she did well there, I did have to deal with the aftermath meltdowns. My dd always seems to lose it after the stressful event.

Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Thank you, I read your comment yerterday and took an appointment today with a pediatric dentist who has experience with children with special needs.  I explained that my son has autism to them and that we wouln't want any procedure on first visit.I am glad I am in the U.S and there are so many options. I remember my parents used to hold me down and I am scared of the dentist till today.

Quoting Nickmom1118: Look for a pediatric dentist. Then ask to go there and visit the place. Explain to them your concerns and that you don't want your child held down. If they are a good fit, they will explain how they will help your child to get more comfortable. I was surprised when we started where we go. He started there at 2. (Before the diagnosis) they had to take him to the hospital to put caps on his teeth. That got us through the first 6 months because they cleaned them while asleep. The next visit was me brushing his teeth with them just looking. And each visit went a little further. My son is now 6 1/2. Last month when he went, they got flavor free toothpaste just for him! So they were able to actually clean. But the fluoride was still hard. And he still won't do X-rays. But that is what they will be working on next. I was lucky enough to have a great dentist.

Simran81
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Good to hear!

Quoting SamMom912: Ped dentist! Sam had been going since he was 2 as well. Aside from xrays all typically goes well... Only 1 bad appt over the years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)