Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT eval for school says he doesnt need intervention!!!

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

So now what. Team meeting is Wed My son turns 3 June 9th and I think he needs it. Its the first time he will be in school.

by on May. 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
This was schools eval? Do you have a private eval?
Is your son on the spectrum with DX?
If you have eval from Dr you can have Dr write your child a perscription for "services related to ASD including O/T and P/T. "
It wouldnt look good for your school district to deny your sons needs based on letter from Dr. Since federal and state funding are foryhcoming until 5yrs of age.
Is this based on occupational eval or sensory eval?
You could push for all the ways having delayed skills will effect him in the classroom. Will he be in preschool.
If you cant get letter from Dr before meeting you could reschedule.
Princesst124
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM

he is going into preschool yeah. I'm not delaying the meeting. I'm trying to get him into summer school. I will have EI and his ABA supervisor there.

emarin77
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Always have a private evaluations first, not at school. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 30, 2016 at 6:57 PM

I wish you luck trying to get your son in summer school but that would probably be a hard battle to win. I know because my daughter's birthday is in May and so her EI services ended and we didn't get public school services til fall, so almost 3 months of no services just because of when her birthday falls.

But the school refused to give her summer school saying since she hadn't previously been in the school system there was no way for them to know if she would regress without services. And summer school is for maintaining skills they already possess, not learning new skills. Yeah, public school sucks. Since you have ABA, I would focus on doing as many hours of ABA over the summer and worry about school in the fall. Summer school probably wouldn't prepare him for school anyway, the summer school program is extremely limited. If you want to prepare him for school, maybe search for a preschool readiness class for ASD. Since my daughter didn't get summer school, I put her in a group speech therapy program that was set up like a preschool for 6 weeks. It made a huge difference, I know without it she would have not tolerated public school at all ....... and I also know the public summer school program wouldn't have done what that speech therapy program did for her.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Delaying the meeting means nothing can change until you have the meeting.any services he currently gets he will continue to get until you have the meeting.
Its basically a stall tactic for you to get your ducks in a row.
If EI people and his ABA advocate for his continued services and support then you MAY be ok.
The transition from EI to CPSE is typically pretty smooth since there is so much funding.
Its the transition from CPSE to CSE that gets tricky.

Quoting Princesst124:

he is going into preschool yeah. I'm not delaying the meeting. I'm trying to get him into summer school. I will have EI and his ABA supervisor there.

Princesst124
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM

no services end at 3 years old , so I need to find out if he will get summer school first before I can schedule ABA services. The intake person after seeing my son said she thought he would get summer school.  What is CPSR and CSE?

Quoting SamMom912: Delaying the meeting means nothing can change until you have the meeting.any services he currently gets he will continue to get until you have the meeting. Its basically a stall tactic for you to get your ducks in a row. If EI people and his ABA advocate for his continued services and support then you MAY be ok. The transition from EI to CPSE is typically pretty smooth since there is so much funding. Its the transition from CPSE to CSE that gets tricky.
Quoting Princesst124:

he is going into preschool yeah. I'm not delaying the meeting. I'm trying to get him into summer school. I will have EI and his ABA supervisor there.


Princesst124
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 8:36 PM

I did a private OT eval but I couldn't afford to continue and so they didn't give me the report. I had OT through EI also . I have been more focused on school so I haven't found an OT place yet.

Quoting emarin77:

Always have a private evaluations first, not at school. 


SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 9:07 PM
Early intervention is 0-3 federal and state funded
CPSE is 3-5 (stands for Committee for Preschool Special Education) which gets federal, state and town tax money.
CSE ( your School district 5- 22)

Does your son have an sutism diagnosis from a Dr?

Quoting Princesst124:

no services end at 3 years old , so I need to find out if he will get summer school first before I can schedule ABA services. The intake person after seeing my son said she thought he would get summer school.  What is CPSR and CSE?

Quoting SamMom912: Delaying the meeting means nothing can change until you have the meeting.any services he currently gets he will continue to get until you have the meeting.

Its basically a stall tactic for you to get your ducks in a row.

If EI people and his ABA advocate for his continued services and support then you MAY be ok.

The transition from EI to CPSE is typically pretty smooth since there is so much funding.

Its the transition from CPSE to CSE that gets tricky.



Quoting Princesst124:

he is going into preschool yeah. I'm not delaying the meeting. I'm trying to get him into summer school. I will have EI and his ABA supervisor there.

emarin77
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I would ask the school why they think he doesn't need OT.

Quoting Princesst124:

I did a private OT eval but I couldn't afford to continue and so they didn't give me the report. I had OT through EI also . I have been more focused on school so I haven't found an OT place yet.

Quoting emarin77:

Always have a private evaluations first, not at school. 



dawncs
by Dawn on May. 30, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Have you thought of requesting an independent evaluation? You can request one. I am including some links from Wrightslaw.com about this subject:

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author BlogĀ 
My Author Website

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)