• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time I pulled the Autism card

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM
  • 3 Replies
My daughter goes to a mainstream camp but since she went there for preschool, they are familiar with her and she is comfortable with them and because it is run by the city we live in, they have all gone through background checks and certifications. They were having a "Field Day" at camp so like the Olympics but kiddie style and she was really looking forward to it but they called me and said she was throwing up, so I picked her up (by 9am). We went to the park, went swimming and she didn't so much as cough nor was she running a temp. I'm not a fan of her camp counselor/teacher as she mentioned some ASD issues and her obvious lack of experience with it and my daughter and I just felt like she knew exactly what to tell them to get my child sent home because she knew Sami would have some difficulties with the structured type activities. I called the front desk and spoke with one of the ladies that I'm familiar with and she eased my concerns but they really are very accommodating with Sami. I just felt like it needed to be said.
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
It is hard when they dont know how to handle the possibility of difficult situations.
Its probably in Samis best interest that they did send her home rather then risking treating her poorly when she had difficulty.
Would have been nice to make better accomodations for her, change the games up to stuff everyone could have played, been more inclusive.
But
Sounds like you guys had a nice day.
emarin77
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, that is the difficulties going to mainstream camps.  I always make sure camps can assist kids with Autism if issues occur.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Through the years my daughter has done a variety of mainstream camps usually interest based with good results.  Sometimes there is one that doesn't work - usually it is sensory based issues that cause problems for her.  Last spring break she attended a standard surf camp and, well, it is a good thing I stayed for the camp. Her sensory issues caused lots of problems and even now she says it was awful.  She had previously done Project Surf Camp aimed at special needs kids and that was wonderful.  So much depends on the people involved in the camp - whether they can handle a kid who is different, whether there are enough leaders/counselors to give individual attention if needed, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)