• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Conduct Disorder *edit*

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone dealt with this diagnosis and therapy for it before??

My oldest boy has been re-diagnosed and I'm getting the info tomorrow when his therapist visits me.

She mentioned it was similar to ODD but different and she thought it fit him better.
In looking I found this and have seen it before so I think this might be what I'm told(plus in reading about it it sounds just like my son).

So I am curious if anyone has a child with it and what was done, etc.
TIA...

ETA...well I was wrong. They feel DMDD(Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder) fits him better(and it sounds like it does from the little I saw. Will read up on it more over the weekend).

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:50 PM

How old is your child?  I think conduct disorder covers a range of behaviors that don't have a specific name.  What behaviors is he exhibiting? 

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:54 PM

He's 12. When I first read Conduct Disorder it seemed to be a heading for various things like ADHD, ODD, etc but last night when I read on WebMD it had a completely different definition all of its own.
My son has a diagnosis that includes ADHD and Mood Disorder but it was recommended that in a couple years he be rediagnosed since he was kinda in the middle of various things.
So his issues with anger and aggression and love of hurting others, etc has been re-evaluated by his current team.

Quoting hotspice58:

How old is your child?  I think conduct disorder covers a range of behaviors that don't have a specific name.  What behaviors is he exhibiting? 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM
What kinds of therapy do they suggest for CD?

I dont know much about it as a DX and I thought it was more of a catch basin for kids with mood disorders, ODD, Adhd.... As a general term when kids had a lot of aggression/anger/irritability and no remorse after aggressive episodes.

In looking around IMO (how much do you like your psychiatrist?) it seems like a blanket DX for her to make ( some say has underlying biological component.) That simply says to me she needs to manage meds better. If she has been treating him & these behaviors are escalating then Id wonder if whatever grouping of meds he is on isnt doing their job enough for him to still be having such symptomology that a
New Dx needs to be found (one that doesnt offer much hope or med direction).

Can I be super nosy and ask what he takes (pm me if you dont want this public).
I did a TON of prescription research when Sam was in WI

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Thing is he is also 12 so there is probably a hormonal component going on as well. What I read about Conduct disorder it was saying to do psychotherapy as treatment.
The med doctor is different than his other therapists(he sees one for behavior and one for mental health along with the med one).
I could be wrong and they tell me something different, this is just what I saw looking around so I thought I'd get more info if I could especially since I have seen two different definitions.
I'm tired of everyone honestly LOL. Tired of his behaviors, tired of therapy not doing much, and tired of no meds working(he's on a med for his Ulcerative Colitis, he's on a generic version of Abilify, Celexa, and Intuniv and the only one that has kinda helped is the Intuniv. The other two are newer cuz nothing else he's tried over the last few years have done squat. Im pretty much ready to end all meds honestly).

Quoting SamMom912: What kinds of therapy do they suggest for CD? I dont know much about it as a DX and I thought it was more of a catch basin for kids with mood disorders, ODD, Adhd.... As a general term when kids had a lot of aggression/anger/irritability and no remorse after aggressive episodes. In looking around IMO (how much do you like your psychiatrist?) it seems like a blanket DX for her to make ( some say has underlying biological component.) That simply says to me she needs to manage meds better. If she has been treating him & these behaviors are escalating then Id wonder if whatever grouping of meds he is on isnt doing their job enough for him to still be having such symptomology that a New Dx needs to be found (one that doesnt offer much hope or med direction). Can I be super nosy and ask what he takes (pm me if you dont want this public). I did a TON of prescription research when Sam was in WI

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Have they ever suggested a mood stabilizer?
Have you ever tried a stimulant for the Adhd?
Just curious.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Thing is he is also 12 so there is probably a hormonal component going on as well. What I read about Conduct disorder it was saying to do psychotherapy as treatment.The med doctor is different than his other therapists(he sees one for behavior and one for mental health along with the med one).I could be wrong and they tell me something different, this is just what I saw looking around so I thought I'd get more info if I could especially since I have seen two different definitions.I'm tired of everyone honestly LOL. Tired of his behaviors, tired of therapy not doing much, and tired of no meds working(he's on a med for his Ulcerative Colitis, he's on a generic version of Abilify, Celexa, and Intuniv and the only one that has kinda helped is the Intuniv. The other two are newer cuz nothing else he's tried over the last few years have done squat. Im pretty much ready to end all meds honestly).

Quoting SamMom912: What kinds of therapy do they suggest for CD?

I dont know much about it as a DX and I thought it was more of a catch basin for kids with mood disorders, ODD, Adhd.... As a general term when kids had a lot of aggression/anger/irritability and no remorse after aggressive episodes.

In looking around IMO (how much do you like your psychiatrist?) it seems like a blanket DX for her to make ( some say has underlying biological component.) That simply says to me she needs to manage meds better. If she has been treating him & these behaviors are escalating then Id wonder if whatever grouping of meds he is on isnt doing their job enough for him to still be having such symptomology that a
New Dx needs to be found (one that doesnt offer much hope or med direction).

Can I be super nosy and ask what he takes (pm me if you dont want this public).
I did a TON of prescription research when Sam was in WI

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 2:21 PM

He's been on stabilizers, did nothing.
Not sure about the stimulant. I've forgotten a good chunk of what he's tried over the years.

Quoting SamMom912: Have they ever suggested a mood stabilizer? Have you ever tried a stimulant for the Adhd? Just curious.
Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Thing is he is also 12 so there is probably a hormonal component going on as well. What I read about Conduct disorder it was saying to do psychotherapy as treatment.The med doctor is different than his other therapists(he sees one for behavior and one for mental health along with the med one).I could be wrong and they tell me something different, this is just what I saw looking around so I thought I'd get more info if I could especially since I have seen two different definitions.I'm tired of everyone honestly LOL. Tired of his behaviors, tired of therapy not doing much, and tired of no meds working(he's on a med for his Ulcerative Colitis, he's on a generic version of Abilify, Celexa, and Intuniv and the only one that has kinda helped is the Intuniv. The other two are newer cuz nothing else he's tried over the last few years have done squat. Im pretty much ready to end all meds honestly).

Quoting SamMom912: What kinds of therapy do they suggest for CD? I dont know much about it as a DX and I thought it was more of a catch basin for kids with mood disorders, ODD, Adhd.... As a general term when kids had a lot of aggression/anger/irritability and no remorse after aggressive episodes. In looking around IMO (how much do you like your psychiatrist?) it seems like a blanket DX for her to make ( some say has underlying biological component.) That simply says to me she needs to manage meds better. If she has been treating him & these behaviors are escalating then Id wonder if whatever grouping of meds he is on isnt doing their job enough for him to still be having such symptomology that a New Dx needs to be found (one that doesnt offer much hope or med direction). Can I be super nosy and ask what he takes (pm me if you dont want this public). I did a TON of prescription research when Sam was in WI

dedhed
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel your  pain my youngest son has odd and adhd and it has been a life long struggle. In school, out of school. etc. He is 21 now and has dropped out of college 3xs because he refuses to take his meds now.

We did counseling every week for many many years...id suggest a behavioralist. a lot of behavior mod, a lot of teacher meetings, a lot of crying....

I can help with the "conduct disorder" since i havenet read anyting on it, but i feel your pain and frustration.

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

EDITED THE POST....

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes DMDD makes more sense. Thats the new precusor to Bipolar; since bipolar was being too often DXd in kiddos and not going up to actually be bipolar.

Sams Dr (the crap one who f'd up all those meds-- boy am I blunt today) suggested we look at that; but Sams hospital didnt feel he met sny criteria for a mood disorder; just dysregulated... Nothing at a clinical level.

I foind a few good websites. Ill look for 1 in particular ai liked & put the link.

You may want to push for that Genesight test to figure out best meds for him if they arent able to stabilize him (and he sounds STILL difficult!)
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 9:26 PM

What is important is how the dx effects the treatment. Did you ask them what this realy means?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)