Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First classmate bday party in several yrs.

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
Nick had an invite to a party for a little boy. This yr he has gotten invites but it's been girls and he didn't want to go. I pushed this party a little because I know he plays with this boy a little. It was defiantly out of his comfort zone.

He did really well. It was more hard on me then him. The parents that volunteers know there are issues with nick. It was supposed to be outside at the pavilion next to the school. (The kids were going to play on the playground) BUT, then it rains so the plans changed. They moved it inside the rec building. They brought several balls and the kids just played in the gym however they wanted. There really was no structure. Nick refused to play with the boys. He said he will be the judge and sat on the side. When a girl showed up, then he went to play with her. But soon he left her and played by his self. I brought food for him and he asked what everyone ate. He ate until the other kids were done. He wouldn't let me leave his side! Some parents left and the other ones gathered and talked. I always feel as much of an outcast as Nick is.

I slowly got Nick to let me back off some. After about an hour, he was going to the room to get a drink and stuff like that without me. He was shocked when this one boy came late. B was also happy to see Nick. They played really well together and followed each other around. I was happy to see Nick click with someone. Later, I heard B mom say that he has severe ADHD. She was explaining his behavior to another mom. It all clicked to me then. That's why Nick liked him. They were probably a lot alike.

At the end, I had to remind Nick that everyone does party's differently. He started to get upset because he wanted to watch the bday boy open presents and the party was done. The mom came over and asked if he wanted her son to open his presents? I asked her if they could do that? That it would make things a lot better. So they accommodated Nick and the boy liked his present. Then I rushed Nick out. So that there wasn't anymore misunderstandings on his part.

I think it went fine. But it's nerve wracking watching him having so many issues playing with the other kids. I am happy that he did seem to have a good friendship with the one boy and he really likes to play with the girls.
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM

It sounds like it went well! I have the same nerve wracking feeling when we take Ethan to birthday parties. It also sounds like you left on a high note, and it's nice to hear Nick is forming friendships as well :) hugs!!

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Oct. 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM

It is good to get him out socializing more and also to help explain situations to him. 

Ralgj
by April on Oct. 24, 2016 at 6:03 AM
It sounds like he's making progress. Social situations are tough. And I know it's hard for you being on the outside too. You're doing a great job by taking him and encouraging him to make friends. You could have easily not gone and been more comfortable.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM
He did good! Ashton gets snarky when kids don't open up presents at parties or if the party is not what he expected so we have had to work on not being rude about it, nick is still young but since he's so much like Ashton thought I would prepare you for the pre teen years ;)
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Ya. We had a talk before the party about how some people don't open presents. He said, "that's stupid!" LOL.

And then when he didn't, so it almost ended in a meltdown. Thank god the mom saw what was happening and offered to open just nicks present.

I think it's so funny how they are so much alike. Thanks for the warning for preteen yrs. ;)

Quoting Charizma77: He did good! Ashton gets snarky when kids don't open up presents at parties or if the party is not what he expected so we have had to work on not being rude about it, nick is still young but since he's so much like Ashton thought I would prepare you for the pre teen years ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)