• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice - getting stressed

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Jen
  • 3 Replies

My friend told me that a specific doctor (neruopsych) was amazing and said if I ever need to take Liam to one, see this guy. 

So I called my ped and asked for the referral. Its at the Children's Hospital. 

Ped. gave me the referral and his office told me I had to call and make my own appointment. But the hospital clinic called back and said they aren't taking "community referrals." However, when they heard my referral was for that specific dr - they said they'd ask that dr if he'd see us. 

Then, they went on to say how unnecessary it was to see a neuropsy for things like ASD and ADHD, that typically, neurosphych's only see kids w/ brain tumors, etc. 

They gave me the name of this lady. 

Well, the next day - Children's calls back and says the dr will see us! I'm thrilled and want to take that appoinment (I have to fill out paperwork, send it back, then I'll get an appointment scheduled within the next 3-5 months). Especially since it was so hard to get this dr to see us. And apparently, according to a friend, he is the best. 

Then, the other lady calls me. She can get Liam seen in Dec. And she can do a "neuropsych" eval too. But she's not a neuropsych - so I'm confused. 

Would you go to the lady you can see in Dec? Or wait till next spring to see the other guy? 

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
emarin77
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM

That is true, Dr. neurologists just focus on treating patients with head injuries and diseases.  I suggest seeing a child clinical psychologist.  We did for our son to receive all the services/accommodations in school.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:59 PM
A neuropsych eval is typically done my a neuropsychologist,
The Dr doing Sams neuropsych is Assistant Clinical Professor of Medical Psychology (in Psychiatry) at University- as her title.

A neurologist would not do a neuropsych. But woukd/could evaluate for ASD.

Sams first DX was by a pediatric neurologist.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:01 PM
I would wait. We were so excited to take Ashton to a neuro psych and the dr who was supposed to be the one to see if your child had autism was on maternity leave some we opted to see the other dr as he was great but he didn't get anywhere with Ashton and didn't tell us anything we didn't know already.. We were very disappointed. I would wait for the better dr..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)