• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving dinner

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
Thanksgiving dinner is now less than 2 weeks away. We're having guest over and everyone will be eating the usual holiday food. However, my Special K doesn't eat any of those foods so he will probably be eating his norm which is bologna sandwiches or pizza. This kinda makes be sad because I feel that he is being excluded. As his mom, I am the last person that would ever exclude him from anything. He's very sensitive to textures and RARELY tries new things. I guess there is no real point of this post. Just wanted to kinda talk to some other moms who may understand. Thanks to all who read and/or respond.
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dawncs
by Dawn on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:15 AM

I know it can be frustrating at times with sensory issues? Is he having sensory integration therapy? It can help. Could he also be avoiding certain food for how he feels more than taste or texture? Some foods really do not agree with me, and I refuse to eat any food that my body does not process well. It is why I am on the gf diet along with being a vegetarian now.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Youre not exluding him... Youre meeting his needs! Awww momma dont make yourself feel worse. Holidays are hard for some ASD kiddos. Change of schedule, change of people in the house- noise, unpredicability. I think its PERFECTLY fine to keep something familiar and comforting for him. Holidays are to be enjoyed! If he enjoyed a bologna sandwich or pizza more then Turkey then let him enjoy!
You'd never force a vegan to eat your meal... Consider it "similar".
Hugs
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is like that. I always felt bad for him because he was missing out on the best food if the year! Thanksgiving has always been my favorite meal - ever.

But, it is what it is, right? I'd say, as long as he's happy, that's all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I can relate. Hugs!
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Growing up I didn't like most of the food served on Thanksgiving. I ate it because I didn't want to hurt people's feelings. Eventually I started just eating the food I liked and I was happier. Now I love pretty much everything Thanksgiving, so it isn't an issue. Letting your son eat what he likes is not excluding him. He will have a much better time if he can eat what he wants.

LovingMySquare
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM
I think it's solely based on smell and texture. He smells EVERYTHING before he eat it. If the smell pleases him, he will try it. And no, he's not receiving any kind of sensory therapy right now.

Quoting dawncs:

I know it can be frustrating at times with sensory issues? Is he having sensory integration therapy? It can help. Could he also be avoiding certain food for how he feels more than taste or texture? Some foods really do not agree with me, and I refuse to eat any food that my body does not process well. It is why I am on the gf diet along with being a vegetarian now.

Ralgj
by April on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM
I'm guessing your son won't even care. I think he can eat what he wants and you shouldn't worry about it. I have always packed a meal for my son when we go to holidays. Just don't worry about it and enjoy your day!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)