Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Technology advice -- help please!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm looking into getting a tablet of some kind for my 6 yr old daughter Elizabeth, recently diagnosed with ASD.  I was thinking it would be really handy to have a visual schedule for her that she can carry with her.......and, the reward of games for accomplishing certain tasks perhaps.  Anyhoo -- my husband and I have been super careful with screens with our kids, we just don't like the thought of our kids sitting in front of screens all day, so we have never had a tablet of any kind. I feel so ignorant about them!!   As I'm looking into options, I ran across the Amazon Fire, 7" or 8", which are really reasonably priced.  does anyone know if these are compatible with helpful apps for autism??  Is an ipad a better go??  Thanks, ladies!!!

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I've only had an iPad for my ASD kiddo but I'm sure there are other well working options. As for apps, I recently heard of a "First, Then" app that I need to check out. We love the visual timer "Countdown."
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a Fire (actually 2) and where there is an abundance of games and whatnot on it. I'm not sure how useful it might be for a visual schedule system. Actually, I take that back. I pulled out one of our Kindle Fire's and looked for visual scheduler and there are some options for apps, one that gets really good reviews. I looked up a few of the apps for autism and some are there. There's a PECS app, the scheduler app... We also have an IPad and obviously it has lots of options but it also has some drawbacks. IPad seems to to be the standard but the others are catching up. Our first tablet was the Fire and it's actually almost 5 years old and is still in good shape. I bought a backup a few years ago on Black Friday for $35 and it sat in the closest for almost a year before I set it up. With the Fire you can set up parental controls that allows certain apps to be used at certain times. Something I haven't found in the IPad (you can buy apps to do it but they still allow certain things through). If you're a prime member there are lots of free apps and shows with the Kindle Fire. One thing I don't like about the IPad is once you download an app, there is unlimited access to it. We downloaded YouTube for a while but decided to get rid of it. Ben can just go in and download it again without a password or anything. We have a heck of a time keeping YouTube off our IPad. With the Kindle Fire you can specify what can be downloaded automatically and what needs a password. Ben is 6 too and we have the 7" and it's just right for him. After doing this research, he might be using the Fire much more...
Ralgj
by April on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Our kids both have a kindle fire. We have several. They are very sturdy. And ours have been beat up!! One even went in the toilet and survived and it wasn't even in a special case. My asd son recently got an iPad for communication and visual schedules. I feel like there are more options for things like that on the iPad. We keep the kindle for play and the iPad for communication. The kindle is a good price though. I bet they will have them on sale for Black Friday
Noahs-Mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I say go for an iPad.before he died Steve Jobs bought the software of a ton of adaptive equipment. My biggest advice is get a GOOD case, We have a Griffin Survivor case. 

Missjoy4
by Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 1:49 AM

Thank you so much!!  Good to hear what's working for you guys.....:-)  

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM
I really am a fan of ipads. You can buy refurbished for less money than new. I also recommend a Bog Grips case.

But I have heard good things with the Amazon tablet. I'm sure it's good too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)