Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off topic - feel unsafe

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM
  • 23 Replies
Hi after reading about all the hate crimes, we are scared. We (4-5 neighbors) usually go to a park on fridays but one of my neighbors suggested it's too secluded and hence we should not go there. Never imagined that I would feel unsafe here. We are originally from India and migrated here 5 years ago. We are taking precautions like not going to the gas station at night or walking on roads after dark. My husband says there is nothing to worry here in the Silicon Valley , but I am still worried. I am worried for the future of my kids here. There are videos circulating of racial bullying at schools and children chanting "build the wall" at recess. Where are we heading !!
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM
I am sorry you feel unsafe. Are there things happening around you? I hope that most of the reports are false or exaggerated and you really are safe.

Honestly, I do know that there are racist idiots out there, but I think most people are not. For example I live in a very conservative area, but it is also pretty diverse. My son's class has three or four Indian students in it and about half the class is a minority. Pretty sure most of the parents in the school voted for Trump, but they aren't idiots who would bully or commit a hate crime. They just are conservative and voted for a conservative candidate. I can't see that his school would put up with any racist nonsense or bullying or that the parents would encourage it.

I personally didn't vote for Trump and I am for more immigration and reforming the whole system.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM
This makes me so sad to hear. My youngest son is 4 and his best friend's parents are from India. They are the sweetest family (also have a daughter who is my daughters friend). I would feel just awful if they ever felt unsafe in our area and I hate that you feel that way. Big hugs and prayers for your safety!
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM
I am so sorry. This is not the America I want to live in, and Im sorry that this even needs to fall on your families radar.

I get that there is racism out there, but Im saddened by this turn of evens. America is founded on being from elsewhere!
It really sickens me the people that forget we are ALL historically from someplace else (unless you're native American.)
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry you are feeling this way. I wish I could just bring you here because I feel awful that you are having those worries and fears. Sending hugs.

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry, that isn't how a lot of us feel. Those of us who understand what America is supposed to be about, stand with you and support you.

The sad thing is, I am a little scared to be out near downtown myself. Last night a riot took place and sometimes my husband and I drive at night for Lyft. However with all that is going on, even today, my husband (who usually isn't phased by this kind of thing) has said that he wants me and my kids to stay close to home. Which I will do.

Yes we are white, but hate is hate and lots of innocent people are getting hurt in the unneeded cross fire.

After this, I am going to be sure to instruct my son, that if he sees anything of a child saying hateful things like that, to be a man and inform a teacher and stand by his friend. Hate starts with us and it stops with us. I intend to make it stop with me and my family.

I will be thinking of you and your family as things move forward. You do have friends!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM
I am so so deeply sorry. This breaks my heart! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ralgj
by April on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM
I'm so sorry you don't feel safe. I hate that for you and your family. As if you don't already have enough to worry about. Hugs!!
daintyred
by Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 7:53 AM
This is our reality everyday, unfortunately. My daughter attends a school that is predominantly white and affluent. Most people don't know that almost all of the "old money" families in America own property here close to the National. They can be pretty cruel, intentionally. The reality is, we have to prepare our children for all eventualities. We are fortunate to be vocal and tolerant, but to the end of being the example and not the exception. No need to be afraid. Instead be proactive and vocal. If you're going somewhere, travel in groups. Fear and God cannot occupy the same space at the same time though. Truth casts out fear. Live in your truth.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 8:05 AM
I live in an old money area in NY. I dont see much racism here at all. I think we are very culturally diverse and accepting/loving.

Our minority numbers arent huge- but I REALLY believe all families in our community feel welcome & safe.

Quoting daintyred: This is our reality everyday, unfortunately. My daughter attends a school that is predominantly white and affluent. Most people don't know that almost all of the "old money" families in America own property here close to the National. They can be pretty cruel, intentionally. The reality is, we have to prepare our children for all eventualities. We are fortunate to be vocal and tolerant, but to the end of being the example and not the exception. No need to be afraid. Instead be proactive and vocal. If you're going somewhere, travel in groups. Fear and God cannot occupy the same space at the same time though. Truth casts out fear. Live in your truth.
Simran81
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM
I read that one student wearing head scarf was grabbed and pushed in the parking lot of the San Jose university. I read twitter updates of people across America . At gas stations people were told "your time is up , you need to get out" etc. I saw a video of kids are chanting "build the wall". Looks like hidden emotions and hatred is coming out. My son s school is diverse. I live in the Silicon Valley where migrant population is more. But these incidents get us worried.

Quoting perrywinkle: I am sorry you feel unsafe. Are there things happening around you? I hope that most of the reports are false or exaggerated and you really are safe.

Honestly, I do know that there are racist idiots out there, but I think most people are not. For example I live in a very conservative area, but it is also pretty diverse. My son's class has three or four Indian students in it and about half the class is a minority. Pretty sure most of the parents in the school voted for Trump, but they aren't idiots who would bully or commit a hate crime. They just are conservative and voted for a conservative candidate. I can't see that his school would put up with any racist nonsense or bullying or that the parents would encourage it.

I personally didn't vote for Trump and I am for more immigration and reforming the whole system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)