Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD: FRIDAY

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

Keeping Summer in mind, would you mainstream your child into a regular camp but make mention of their condition or would you rather put them in a specialized camp for ASD kids where various therapies would be provided?

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ralgj
by April on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:40 AM
I wouldn't put my son in a mainstream camp. He would need an ASD or SN camp. It wouldn't be for the therapies but because of the level of care he needs.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the kid and the type of camp. I didn't know of specialized camps when my oldest was going to camps. So he was in the mainstream camps and that was stressful. He needed the extra support and staff that understood him.

Liam, my 6 year old, hasn't been to too many camps yet but as a very young kiddo, he's gotten lots of support at the camps he has done simply because of his age. We'll see what all that looks like as he gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punkinsmom0106
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:51 AM
Neither. The cost of appropriate summer programs is outrageous and a regular summer program would be doing him a major disservice.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:15 AM

ASD camp solely based on my daughter's severity level. She actually did do a 2 hour a day regular preschool camp 2 years ago because I talked to camp and they let her behavior therapist be in the camp with her. And it was still inappropriate for her and I still felt uncomfortable with her being there. (The staff made me feel uncomfortable, we had issues on where I could change her diaper because technically kids had to be potty trained for camp but they said itd be okay for her to be in diapers since I stayed the whole time but then they wouldn't let me in the bathrom to change her soooooo ...... yeah, wasn't cool)

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM

I'm not sure. He may be doing a speech therapy program this summer, so a focus on special needs/speech.

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM

I'd put them in regular camp and I might mention my oldests ASD but that's mostly because of his aggression issues. I'd want them to be aware.
The other two, I probably wouldn't say anything.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM
The only camp my son has been to by himself is a 3day overnight church camp. He was exhausted and extremely cranky. He'd worked so hard to fit in that when he got home we got all the frustration he'd built up. This past summer he went with our new church group but we were there as well. He found a friend a couple years younger and physically the same size and pretty much followed his lead everywhere. And there were times he can to us for breaks. He did well. But we did tell his counselor of general potential issues and how we deal with it.
K1tten
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Neither. Partially cost reasoning (very small percentage) and mostly trust of others. I have a VERY hard time trusting strangers outside of school with my son or grandson. Every day I turn on the news and see somebody male/female has sexually molested or physically abused a child NT or SN child. SN children are just easier targets.

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
― Vivian Greene
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM
We've done both and he liked the one that wasn't for kids with ASD better because there wasn't any expectations and he could just play.. Lol
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM
My oldest I would put in a mainstream camp. I might mention his asd.
My middle, I would not mainstream. He's to severe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)