• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD: THURSDAY

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you have your ASD kids in any organized sport, gymnastics, karate, dance or boys/girls scouts?

I would love for Samara to partake in some active activity and was thinking of a gymnastics class.  I was also thinking of becoming a Girl Scout Troop Leader because frankly, I wouldnt trust anyone else to handle my daughter and would want to go to every activity to help with her anyway, so cut out the middle man and then I could also plan meetings and activities suitable for my schedule.  I am still working out the kinks in that plan though, so maybe for next year.

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM

We tried basketball last year. I'm not sure what I was thinking other than the fact Cheyanne had shown a strong interest in basketball, she was attempting to dribble the ball at home and was throwing the ball at the basket. But the court was extremely loud and she refused to wear her headphones and so she became overstimulated very very fast. We only made it through 3 practices and 2 games before we had to call it quits because she started having meltdowns on the drive to practice and major meltdowns on the court during practice. 

I'd love to try gymnastics but at Cheyanne's lower functioning level and being over 5, she'd need the gymnastic buddy they provide for special needs kids and it makes already expensive gymnastics twice the cost and we just can't afford it.

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Not right now

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:01 PM
Ashton plays miracle league baseball but that's about it, he has shown very little interest in sports and he's involved in some church activities and enjoys swimming.. I've looked at some swim clubs for him so there's that possibility..
LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:18 PM

I had them in karate but they all hated it so we stopped.
None of my kids like sports or that kind of thing so when/if we do summer stuff its usually like lego club or movie weeks, etc.

Simran81
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM

I enrolled my son in soccer. It was for ages 4-6 and he was the eldest and hence benefitted from that. He refused to join the class once and took us 15 minutes to convince him. But later he got better. Now he moves to the higher class(6+), have my fingers crossed for that. I took him for a karate trial, but he had difficulty with the steps and would also get scared when other kids had to kick and he had to shield. It didn't work for us.

JKuney
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM

We did soccer in the fall for Em, and we are looking into doing a tumbling class probably starting next month. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2017 at 1:39 PM

I had my oldest do a lot of things like that but it was hard, I'm not going to lie. Something went very well and others not so much. 

My 6 year old is in Upward Basketball. It's thru a church thing and they don't focus on winning, which I like. The coaches are nice and don't yell at the kids. In the fall, we did Upward soccer but I think basketball is a much better fit for Liam than soccer was. 

Oh, Liam also tried T-ball when he was 5 and I hated it! He did okay but I'm never signing him up for that again! 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Swim lessons is about it for Xavier.
Lily was in dance class, she took swim lessons and is in girl scouts.
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2017 at 8:55 PM
Gymnastics, but has an aide and often has meltdowns so we have to be prepared

And one-on-one special needs swimming lessons

Also goes to Awana, but I have to go with him in case he runs or has a meltdown
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I signed Zion up for a special needs basebball team!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)