• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

98.00 A Month! Are you Kidding Me?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have been married for almost nineteen years now and my husband and I have three sons and the youngest has severe autism. I have always worked well over forty hours a week but the school decided he can't be at school all day and he gets home early now. Husband makes 9.50 an hour as a security guard and my son does get a disability check but it is enough to buy pull ups and whatever else he needs. I couldn't believe it when the welfare told us I could get 98.00 a month in food stamps. My full time job is now at home with no pay!! So I did put my duct tape wallets up for sale on Etsy and named it Judy's Purse. And am reviving another invention I made a year ago. I WILL NOT sit back and feel like a disaster. 

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM
SNAP? It's more than nothing.
rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!!

Ralgj
by April on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM
Hang in there.
K1tten
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM

Yea, my daughter works making less than your husband and she gets squat as well. The Baby daddy is not held accountable to pay CS  (but gets all the rights)because he's on SSI so we help support her and our grandson while the baby daddy and his family do nothing to help. She can't even get help in housing for them both, it's sad.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Is the school even allowed to do that? 

MikeysMom22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Here in CA food stamp money aka SNAP is included in the SSI money so we can't apply for more to purchase food.

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Jan. 28, 2017 at 6:51 PM
Why doesnt your husband take it to the next level and become a cop?
ClaribelC
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2017 at 9:43 PM

why dont you apply for a daycare that has after care and get a discount for your son to be there and you work? win /win. Or get a PT job that allows you to get off before he gets off school and at least is some income and you are at home. Apply for Teacher Aide with the school district. The hours will be similar to his. I am not sure in your state but in TX it pays around 10 per hour.

Shai4710
by Member on Feb. 1, 2017 at 10:29 AM
They don't care.
karenax
by Member on Feb. 20, 2017 at 7:48 AM

I only got $15.00 a month in food stamps when my husband left, I worked pt. Now that my son aged out of medical Ive had to reapply and 6 months later still waiting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)