Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evaluations

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM
  • 4 Replies

I just got my sons high school evaluation report back and I find some of the things ridiculous. I mentioned that he's been doing a great job making friends this year . They said that some of his teachers said he appears comfortable talking with other students and other teachers said he only observes the other students and does not converse with them . So then they decided he still has trouble in that area. I asked him a bout it and he said some classes he has with his friends and others he doesn't . I find it funny that they think he will have friends in every class . I never did . It just bugs me sometimes that I feel like the evaluator is looking for things that aren't there . Does anyone else feel that way ?

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jeda1429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM

They're taking him of the iep anyways because they don't think he needs it anymore, but I still feel like they pick and pick our kids apart looking for problems that aren't there sometimes .

emarin77
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM

I would ask the evaluator what they are looking for.  And state what your feelings are.  I agree with you.

Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2017 at 8:08 AM

Unfortunately our kiddos seem to be put under a microscope and everything is over analyzed.  It is a fine line sometimes between what is normal development and behavior and what is starting to be a "problem".  You know your son best so take it as just one piece of information but not the most important piece.  I always try to focus on making sure my son gets what I think he needs.  If they are giving it for a reason that I don't agree with, I have learned to let it go and focus on my son and his needs.  The times I have issues are when they want to do something I don't agree with and are using BS as their rationale.  Yay for your son having friends!!  That's awesome!

Ralgj
by April on Mar. 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM
I think they noticed it because they were specifically watching him. If they evaluated the entire class as a whole I bet he wouldn't stand out. I don't know if they are picking him apart or just watching extra closely. Either way, try not to be bothered by it. That's great news he doesn't need the IEP anymore though!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)