Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question to those who have done feeding programs

Posted by on May. 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter started a food desensitization program through her ABA school a few weeks ago. Since then, she's been increasingly resistant to eat the foods she normally eats. I can understand its her way of expressing being upset about the food program, but at what point is it not worth it or how do you know they aren't doing it in a way that it's beneficial for your child? I'm considering telling them to quit the food program because everyday she seems to refuse another food she was willing to eat. We're down to about 6-8 foods she's now willing to eat. And today she's sick with a cold and has refused all foods except gummy bears, which I am not allowing her to eat all day long.

by on May. 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DarksMama
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM

Do you know what specifically they are doing, in terms of their approach? Approach is EVERYTHING. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 16, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Step by step introduction to food. First smell it, then put it to your lips, then touch with tongue, then place in mouth for 3 seconds, then chew a piece and spit out, then chew and swallow.

I have already had an issue that had to be cleared up. I send foods in her lunchbox that she will sometimes eat but not all the times eat. Well they were trying to use those foods as part of the program when it was agreed at the beginning to focus on 3 foods. All 3 foods she's never eaten. They told me they used the other foods when she ran out of program foods.  I was angry because they never told me she was out until 3 or 4 days after, all the while using the foods in her lunchbox without my knowledge. That got fixed Monday of last week but it hasn't improved things yet.

Quoting DarksMama:

Do you know what specifically they are doing, in terms of their approach? Approach is EVERYTHING. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 16, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Also they do this every time they eat. So she works on the program at both snacks and lunch. I think that's excessive and is going to affect her eating her meal. Shouldn't they be doing it during therapy time not during eating time??? How much are they controlling the way these kids eat????

Quoting DarksMama:

DarksMama
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM

I can offer you a couple of things my DD is doing that have helped, slow but sure. 

They started by simply plcing the food beside her, next to what she was eating, and getting her to tolerate its presence first. Then moved it to the top of her plate, with the instrauction that she didn't have to bother with it, but it needed to at least be there. Then it was talking her into just touching it with her finger. The smell the food without touching. Smell with touch. Then touch food to lips. Then touch food to tongue. After that, it's their choice whether to just smell and lick, or to lick and bite the food, but it has to be a combo of the two. 

DD is very limited in what she eats, but with therapy from her OT, she helped herself to one of my enchiladas a couple of weeks ago. She'd never had an actual enchilada, just my enchilada casserole which is really plain, comparatively. But she saw my food and asked for a sniff. I let her sniff the whole plate. She asked to taste, so I put it on her fork and told her we could wash it off if she didn't like the lick. She licked, then just shoved the bite in her mouth. I almost died when she said she wanted her own. It was chicken enchiladas (she doesn't handle meat texture well at all), and she half an enchilada to herself. Then was hungry for a dessert. Kid ate like a little piglet for the first time in nearly 2 years. HUGE deal for her. 

The whole trick though? Going slow, and giving them open consent to say no to the food at any point in the process, and let them decide which thing on their plate they want to pursue next. 2 preferred foods, and one non preferred was how we started. Always opening with "Here's a little of (insert food here). It's really good, but if you don't want to try it, at least try to give it a (choose from sniff, lick, touch, taste, etc here). But if it makes you nervous, you don't have to eat it"

I hope this helps. 

DarksMama
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Does she have an outside OT that does feeding therapy? Because it sounds like the school is really screwing her up and knocking back her progress. They are pushing too hard and too often. There's a reason for limiting the list of therapy foods. And they are ignoring that. They are damaging her feeding progress. 

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Also they do this every time they eat. So she works on the program at both snacks and lunch. I think that's excessive and is going to affect her eating her meal. Shouldn't they be doing it during therapy time not during eating time??? How much are they controlling the way these kids eat????

Quoting DarksMama:

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM

She doesn't have OT yet. She has outside speech therapist that owns her own practice and she's trying to find an OT that can work with her during speech therapy to make more progress because the speech therapist sees the sensory need big time. But she doesn't have anyone that can consistently come every week like her. And there isn't another provider that takes our insurance within 45 mins of where I live. 

Thank you, I have felt like they are pushing her too fast in everything they do. I think my daughter is complying just so she can move on and do something she wants to do but isn't really learning what they are trying to teach. She's already skipped steps with the foods and eaten a bite once and I think she did it out of frustration with them, knowing once she did that they'd leave her alone and let her eat in peace! Ofcourse then she comes home and takes it out on us. By being much more rigid in everything and she's started up a behavior she hasn't done in a couple of years ...... since the last time we tried ABA ugh. Its an anxiety induced behavior. Why do they have to push so hard????? I'm going to email and set up a meeting for next week. She only goes tomorrow and we're going on a short trip for her birthday this week. I'm hoping the days off from therapy will help her relax a little.

Quoting DarksMama:

Does she have an outside OT that does feeding therapy? Because it sounds like the school is really screwing her up and knocking back her progress. They are pushing too hard and too often. There's a reason for limiting the list of therapy foods. And they are ignoring that. They are damaging her feeding progress. 

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Quoting DarksMama:

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 7:35 PM

Make certain she is getting plenty of fluids. It does not sound like a fun program, so is less likely to work, especially if they are not respecting your wishes and not keeping you informed.

A good program analyzes what she is currently eating to understand her patterns, is it about texture, color, smell,... Then continuing introducing a slight extension during play and the child assisting during cooking, encouraging licking of fingers and watching others enjoy their masterpieces. 

rebecca_new_mom
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM
With Ethan, the therapist first started with literally one bite of a highly preferred food item on a plate. The steps have been extremely slow. Nothing but preferred items of food, just one bite at a time. After that, they moved (actually it's me doing most of the work now) to one single bite of a non-preferred item. Where we ran into problems is when the portion size increased. We have also done the touch, smell, lick, bite approach but it wasn't as successful. I have had a small amount of progress on my own and with ABA, we are still hoping to get approved for another feeding program in the future, but recently problems with Ari have popped up and require more attention...

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Step by step introduction to food. First smell it, then put it to your lips, then touch with tongue, then place in mouth for 3 seconds, then chew a piece and spit out, then chew and swallow.

I have already had an issue that had to be cleared up. I send foods in her lunchbox that she will sometimes eat but not all the times eat. Well they were trying to use those foods as part of the program when it was agreed at the beginning to focus on 3 foods. All 3 foods she's never eaten. They told me they used the other foods when she ran out of program foods.  I was angry because they never told me she was out until 3 or 4 days after, all the while using the foods in her lunchbox without my knowledge. That got fixed Monday of last week but it hasn't improved things yet.

Quoting DarksMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)