Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your ASD child know about "stranger danger?"

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:12 PM
  • 13 Replies
It is such a "catch 22" with ASD kids because we want them to be more social/interact more with their environment but then not so much that they are easily baited by a kidnapper. Does your ASD child know about "stranger danger?"
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:17 PM

No but he's never alone.

Ralgj
by April on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM
No not at all. He doesn't understand concepts, is non verbal, and knows no fear.
Dzyre1115
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM
He can't comprehend the difference, so we have to be helicopter parents with him!
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:22 PM
To him everyone is a stranger, so he never leaves the side of a trusted adult. Not sure about school, but home or around me I don't worry. He would scream so loud if someone tried to take him or entice him.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:19 PM
No concept. Zip, zilch!
I wisj I could get them to figure that out. It is going to take years of training.
mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Everyone who my dd doesn't know is a stranger to her. She is always with a trusted adult.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Sam has blamed me for teaching him that people are dangerous.
Mind you, even if I said 99% people are good- and I believe that- but he needs to be aware of 1%.
We live outside NYC. We travel. Airports, rest stops, train stations (grand central) subways.
He needs to understand WHILE most people are good, he needs to be careful and aware.

I have chalked this up to teaching a black and white thinker a VERY grey concept.
Larlee217
by on Jun. 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM

We have taught our son about stranger danger, but I don't think he quite understands it yet. We are still trying to teach it to him.

conweis
by Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM
My oldest is a big kid. His size is his safety. My second son has no concept of it. I have tried and tried. To make it worse he is very affectionate.
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Not really. He's the type of kid that says hello to everyone and would probably have no trouble just walking off with someone. Ugh. It's something we are working on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)