Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Jen
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

I never considred Liam needing OT. 

But this year, his handwriting is terrible and the teacher is bothered by it. His kinder teacher said he needed to work on it, but basically didn't care. His first grade teacher failed him in handwriting but never said a word .

And in first grade, the OT at school did an eval saying his motor skills were a strength for him. So - I have no clue what is going on. But the teacher was writing things about his handwriting on his school papers in red ink and that made me angry. 

So I did some research and found an OT (an hour away) and by shear luck, we got in for an eval last week! She said she sees things that we can work on in therapy and is supposed to call(?) me this week w/ the results of her eval. 

by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:49 PM
Good!!! If he needs it hopefully this new OT will start to build Liams fine motor skills and help.

Sam has always been way behind fine motor. So awful this past summer I saw him struggling to put butter on bread. :(

He has an awesome OT now that works with animals. Last week he had to brush hourses and help them bathe the horses.

Today he took care of chickens. :)

All of this is incorporating fine motor skills. :)
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:00 AM

Thats good that they at least caught it.  I find it bothersome that they didnt at least mention any concerns to you.  If it helps, I use a yellow highlighter to help Sami practice her writing skills.

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 27, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Wow that sounds amazing! I don't know of any OT around here that works with animals. But today, Liam spent his time in horse therapy brushing his horse and walking her. :) 

Quoting SamMom912: Good!!! If he needs it hopefully this new OT will start to build Liams fine motor skills and help. Sam has always been way behind fine motor. So awful this past summer I saw him struggling to put butter on bread. :( He has an awesome OT now that works with animals. Last week he had to brush hourses and help them bathe the horses. Today he took care of chickens. :) All of this is incorporating fine motor skills. :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 27, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Yep. School said his fine motor was "above average." 

:(

Quoting MixedCooke:

Thats good that they at least caught it.  I find it bothersome that they didnt at least mention any concerns to you.  If it helps, I use a yellow highlighter to help Sami practice her writing skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)