Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Don't Know If This Is Where I Should Be...

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:46 AM
  • 7 Replies

I don't have a child with autism. In fact I don't have a child at all right now. I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and I am trying to figure out where to go from here. I can't afford to see a doctor until I get disability. I have struggled my entire life but unfortunately I came from a generation where, any kid who behaved outside of the norm was just a bad kid.

by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:50 AM
https://www.verywell.com/adults-and-asperger-syndrome-3896834

Youtube may also have some helpful videos.

Most of us have little kids here. I think 1 or 2 moms may be Aspies or have high functioning autism (the new term for Aspie).

Good luck
karene999
by Karen on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:17 AM

Welcome Neko, we have several member who are on the spectrum. 

emarin77
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Welcome. Contact your county governent for local services.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Welcome to the group. You certainly belong. This is a place for mothers with kiddos on the spectrum, and a few mothers on the spectrum. I happen to be both. It can also be a place for a woman on the spectrum.

MomLeslieM
by Member on Oct. 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM

hi Neko!  I'm glad you now have an answer for why you struggled so long!  What kinds of questions do you have now?  This is definitely a place you can ask away at!!! ;-)

Neko_Nightstar
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I honestly don't know what questions I have. It's like I have so many but I can't even verbalize them. I literally know nothing. I thought I knew so much when I was researching to see if that was the kind of doctor I should see but now I don't know. I'm trying to find someone to help me with my service dog in training. When I first got her, my diagnosis was PTSD and anxiety and bipolar disorder. Now that I have the correct diagnosis, I can train her to help me with that but I don't know how yet. I can't find any programs that will help with adults.

When I was a child, I was diagnosed with ADHD and then when I was a teen, I was diagnosed with bipolar. I found out that bipolar is very commonly misdiagnosed as ADHD in children and aspergers is commonly misdiagnosed as ADHD in children and bipolar in teens. I still can't consistently SPELL aspergers. I always want to stick a b in there where it doesn't belong. I was also diagnosed with depression, which I have been diagnosed with since I was in 8th grade. The anxiety is just a part of aspergers, which explains why none of the anti-anxiety meds did anything. The PTSD is still there too. 

I'm still working on getting disability but the doctor who diagnosed me made it clear in her diagnosis letter that I have been like this since I was born and I am unable to work or live on my own. I'm hoping I can get disability, get some treatment, and then still be able to do something with my life. Right now the service dog I'm training seems to be helping the social anxiety. 

Quoting MomLeslieM:

hi Neko!  I'm glad you now have an answer for why you struggled so long!  What kinds of questions do you have now?  This is definitely a place you can ask away at!!! ;-)

Neko_Nightstar
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 10:32 AM

That's great. This is now why I am more afraid than ever to have a biological child. I'm really hoping to adopt once I get myself situated but I doubt if I will be able to adopt with my issues. 

Quoting MamaLauri:

Welcome to the group. You certainly belong. This is a place for mothers with kiddos on the spectrum, and a few mothers on the spectrum. I happen to be both. It can also be a place for a woman on the spectrum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)