Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The school called me.

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

The principal called me and stated that DS and a few other kids was play cops and robbers. DS grabbed the 'roober' by the hoodie and grabbed his neck. No one got hurt but that is besides the point. How come there was no one watching him when he is playing with other kids? Sometimes, DS can get aggressive and outraged when he is playing a game like that. They know this and still didn't have supervision. Anyways, the principal stated, she doesn't see this behavorial at school at all but she did say that she pulled him in her office about the safety of others. She did say she talked to the other kids about it as well. 

Would you punish him or no?

by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Is this the first time at school? Maybe just talk to him about it and set a consequence if it happens again. Usually that is what I do, but you know your situation best of course.
loveiscrazy
by Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM

First incident that they had to call me about. The principal thinks he got to excited and he seemed to be aggressive. She said, he usually don't come to her office at all. He will get a warning then punished the next time. There was maybe 5 other kids involved so it isn't like he was doing it on his own.

Quoting perrywinkle: Is this the first time at school? Maybe just talk to him about it and set a consequence if it happens again. Usually that is what I do, but you know your situation best of course.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Lots of social stories to understand how your behavior can hurt others.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I’m not being snarky at all, Im being sincere—-but I’m not seeing how a punishment will help him keep his cool when he gets triggered/overstimulated or ramped up while playing?
I’m not meaning any disrespect, Aside from him knowing its not ok to do. I just don’t get how a punishment will help him... which is why I ask.
I dont mean to offend at all, asking this in a really concerned questioning way.

Maybe a book about social skills?
Emotional regulation? Calming techniques when he feels himself getting worked up? But at 5, Id think he would need help (like you were saying) from an adult who might see him getting worked up who could help.

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Dec. 14, 2017 at 4:53 AM

No I wouldnt, in the end it was a game and his intent was not to be aggressive because they were fighting but rather that he was catching the criminal

loveiscrazy
by Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 12:22 PM
This morning I told him that safety comes first. His reaction is cute, "mom, Mrs. K said no more playing cops and robbers". Why? "Because it isn't safe".

He understood everything Mrs. K said.

Quoting MixedCooke:

No I wouldnt, in the end it was a game and his intent was not to be aggressive because they were fighting but rather that he was catching the criminal

illneverbeold
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM

No, I would work on appropriate interactions more aggressively though.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 11:07 PM
No I wouldn't, I'd remind to not play so rough, maybe a social story. Bet the other kids were rough too in that game
loveiscrazy
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM

The other kids got sent to the principals office as well.

Quoting Momof4AEMW: No I wouldn't, I'd remind to not play so rough, maybe a social story. Bet the other kids were rough too in that game

Hope316
by on Dec. 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM

How old is your son?  He is blessed to have a caring Mom. I wouldn't punish him based on this. I would try to continue to reinforce what the safe boundaries are at school.  Sometimes my kids would play rougher at home than school.  As long as you aren't seeing a pattern of aggression, he probably learned his lesson.  Another area I had to watch with my kids was making sure they weren't observing these patterns in video games or on t.v.  Do you monitor those areas already?   I have a noticed a correlation between violence in video games and movies and kids acting aggressively.  Here are a resource someone shared with me this week for family friendly video games: http://bit.ly/2zS9fJl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)