Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech therapy and/or ABA therapy

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM
  • 13 Replies
I've made a previous post about this but need more advice. My son is set up to start ABA therapy. He's been in speech for over a year with little progress other than some signing. Do we need to have him see another therapist or should we just do the ABA therapy?

😐
by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:51 PM
My son did both when he was in ABA. Usually the therapists are more than willing to help each other out, for the better of the child. I was lucky though, we did all our therapy (except feeding) all in the same center. So all of Ben’s therapies were coordinated between all of his providers. But even his therapists now always offer to help each other out and follow suggestions made by others.
tnunley
by Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 7:52 PM

My ds does ABA, speech, pt and ot.  He has shown a ton of improvement since starting the aba therapy, but he still needed speech therapy on top of it.  Maybe try getting a new speech therapists, if you think the current one isn't working out well.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Make sire your son is seeing a spech language pathologist, they are trained to work with people with language disorders,  If child psychologists suggests ABA therapy, do start.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM

My kid followed directions, he just was shutting out the world. So we did not need ABA, we used the PLAY Project.  It taught us, the family, how to interact with him, to keep the flow of interactions increasing.  To want to play with us, vs his trains on the back of the couch.  

What are you and his docs most worried about? Behavior or speech?

ASDSunshine
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

As a student of ABA, we are taught that ABA along with speech therapy is the best . so my simple advise is, please start ABA. you will see miracles happening :)

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:45 PM
We do both. Now on year 3.5 of ABA and year 7 and 9 of speech for my two. Very different therapies.
Fredrica2
by on Dec. 18, 2017 at 9:32 PM

I am a speech-language pathologist, so if your son has a speech-language delay, it would be best to continue with speech therapy, in addition to ABA. As far as progress, some children are non-verbal, and the use of Augmentative-Alternative Communication (AAC) should be considered. Have you discussed your concerns regarding lack of progress directly with the speech therapist? Has the speech therapist provided any education and training to help you support the development of speech and language outside of the therapy setting? I have found that open communication and collaboration is very helpful.

Fredrica2
by on Jan. 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember your post and may have indicated that I am a speech-language pathologist. Some children do not develop speech and language skills even with the best speech therapy intervention. They are simply non-verbal. Being non-verbal does not mean that a child will not be able to "communicate". These children can also learn to communicate using augmentative-alternative communication (AAC). Did you speek with a speech pathologist about having and AAC assessment completed? I would suggest that you consider both AAC and ABA.

anacaonapr
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 3:05 PM
Hello friend.
Every child has a unique individual. As my professional experience, I saw many child improve a LOT with the combination of speech and occupational therapy. aba is great tools to modify a nonpreference behavior.
Gpgms3 doesn't you child has a floppy posture? How is his body coordination? Without correct posture or present body incoordination will present some articulation difficulties.

Problem eating, might be sensory or general weakness of oral motor structure.

I hope this help you
Noahs-Mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM

I would say both.... But I will always vote for ABA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)