Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh! Substitute teachers

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM
  • 5 Replies
My poor girl always has a hard time with substitute teachers. Yesterday she came home pretty upset because the sub was “mean”. I asked what happened and she said that when she tried to go to RSP the sub told her she couldn’t go (it was time for her to go she goes 2 hours a day, plus she has the option to go to the RSP room any time she needs a break). Then she says the sub told another student to block the door (I’m not sure what to think about this one when she gets upset she tends to overreact), she did say she came back from chess club and didn’t know what to do so she started working on a project and when the teacher told her she needed to finish her packet she replied “I wasn’t even here how was I supposed to know” we have been working on thinking about the way she says things because a lot of times it comes off as rude to people that don’t know her even though she doesn’t mean it to.

I sent an email yesterday to her teacher and the Special Ed teacher so we shall see what comes of it. Maybe we will get the whole story about what actually happened.
by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 1:18 PM
Sounds rough. As a former substitute teacher it is hard when you don't know the schedule, but calling the office could have solved that problem. I would ask that her teacher leave a more detailed note for a sub next time. My kids also have bad days with subs. Hugs
LCWAmommy
by Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM
Yeah, I told Abby that is a sub says she can’t go then she should ask them to call the office or the RSP teacher. She said the sub was yelling first thing in the morning which for Abby could mean she spoke sternly or raised her voice to be heard, so she went into the day with a bad attitude and there was a lock down drill so her whole day was a mess.

Quoting perrywinkle: Sounds rough. As a former substitute teacher it is hard when you don't know the schedule, but calling the office could have solved that problem. I would ask that her teacher leave a more detailed note for a sub next time. My kids also have bad days with subs. Hugs
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM
Honestly, the sub sounds bad. She should have called the office. But you can use it as a learning experience to work on what to do next time.

Quoting LCWAmommy: Yeah, I told Abby that is a sub says she can’t go then she should ask them to call the office or the RSP teacher. She said the sub was yelling first thing in the morning which for Abby could mean she spoke sternly or raised her voice to be heard, so she went into the day with a bad attitude and there was a lock down drill so her whole day was a mess.

Quoting perrywinkle: Sounds rough. As a former substitute teacher it is hard when you don't know the schedule, but calling the office could have solved that problem. I would ask that her teacher leave a more detailed note for a sub next time. My kids also have bad days with subs. Hugs
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2017 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Change is hard. Id probably ask at your next iep meeting for a plan for subs for Abby since this went so poorly.
If there is a plan in place on her iep it shouldn’t be an issue in the future.
karene999
by Karen on Dec. 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Exactly this, there is a handout that all subs, or new people assigned to Jim's classroom are required to read and SIGN.

Quoting SamMom912: Change is hard. Id probably ask at your next iep meeting for a plan for subs for Abby since this went so poorly. If there is a plan in place on her iep it shouldn’t be an issue in the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)