Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for sensory issues

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone have suggestions on how to help a child who has sensitivities to the feel of things? Our daughter has a really hard time with socks and pants.. some days she is ok with them and other days they are just too much for her to deal with. We have ruled out a lot of types and tried to find what would work best for her..like leggings and sweatpants (although depending on the day, she may say they don't feel good either) and socks we are still figuring out. She doesn't like things too soft, doesn't like the feel of jeans, says her socks hurt her sometimes, although she also isn't very good at explaining what exactly it is that bothers her. TIA.

by on Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 1, 2018 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up Wilbarger brushing protocol. Its supposed to be good for tactile sensitivities. Does your daughter only have issues with clothes or is she a sensory avoider altogether? If shes complete sensory avoider youcould try to slowly introduce a large variety of tactile experiences to try to help with that. Getting OT trained in sensory integration would be good to pin down which ways would help the most.

Also, does she have issues with dry skin or not wanting lotion/oils to touch her skin? Its possible she tolerates clothes some days and not others because her skin is drier on diff days. My daughter will remove her pants right after i put them on her and ill rub her down with lotion, then put her pants back on and she leaves them on. Shes still functionally nonverbal so she couldnt tell me but i just tried and it worked.
mewebb82
by Member on Jan. 1, 2018 at 9:21 PM
I know this struggle well. OT has helped a lot, but it's also taken some effort to figure out what does and doesn't work for my son. We found seamless socks on Amazon and he does ok with those. He also really only wears jersey knit pants, leggings, or hand knit cotton or wool pants (yes, I'm shocked by wool too if that's what you're thinking). I don't push for him to wear pants or socks at all if we are home though. Sometimes sensory distractions help too........music, weighted lap pad or vest, having him hold a hexbug, etc. while I put in his pants and socks.
I agree with maybe dry skin being an added issue, especially at this time of year. Sometimes my son will be more tolerant of pants after a bath and coconut oil on his legs.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 8:41 AM
I agree with moms who suggest daily rub downs to help with sensory sensitivies to help desensitize as well as wilbarger brush.
Does she see an OT that specializes in sensory?
Tactile defensive is hard. Sam is tactile defensive. :(

Id stick with socks she can tolerate (seamless, short? Stocking type? Heavy texture? Light?) or no socks (whats the big deal somedays?) but DEFINITELY find pants she will tolerate or skirts with stockings?

Maybe sensory smarts or other SPD tactile websites have ideas?

GL.
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 3:02 PM

Clothes is the main thing. She also doesn't like hugs and kisses unless she initiates, so I guess touch in general is more on her terms, although I think she's gotten a little better with that. She also will ony use certain fabrics (doesn't like them too soft, etc.) I was told she has Sensory Integration, but was never told to do therapy for it.. we did behavior therapy for her Selective Mutism, but never knew about OT for this. Wish I would have known about OT for this too! As for lotions, she isn't too bad with it (my oldest with ASD won't do lotions). I never thought about the dryness. She also used to have Eczema. I'll see if I can start putting lotion on her. Thanks for the info! That helps a lot.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom: Look up Wilbarger brushing protocol. Its supposed to be good for tactile sensitivities. Does your daughter only have issues with clothes or is she a sensory avoider altogether? If shes complete sensory avoider youcould try to slowly introduce a large variety of tactile experiences to try to help with that. Getting OT trained in sensory integration would be good to pin down which ways would help the most. Also, does she have issues with dry skin or not wanting lotion/oils to touch her skin? Its possible she tolerates clothes some days and not others because her skin is drier on diff days. My daughter will remove her pants right after i put them on her and ill rub her down with lotion, then put her pants back on and she leaves them on. Shes still functionally nonverbal so she couldnt tell me but i just tried and it worked.

Noahs-Mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 9:47 PM

A few things there are sensory friendly clothes. Target carries thjem acutally. I buy nearly everything second hand for my kids for the simple fact that they have been washed and 'made soft' according to my oldest child. The fabric is broken in.... All kids are different. My ex's son has NEVER liked jeans. My boys dont find. Go for cotten and tagless...  Cat & Jack at Target. 

My kids also like all clothes from Children's Place. 

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 6:50 AM

Stride Rite had the best socks for my son.  Tiny seam and soft.  He still doesn't like jeans, but there is a Levi brand called Denzen at Target, that feels like sweatpants.  They several different fits - skinny to relaxed.  

Also, my son cannot stand dry skin. Maybe try lotion?

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:52 AM

No she doesn't. She was diagnosed with Selective Mutism, Anxiety, and Sensory Integration when we first had her checked like 3 years ago. I was told to do Beahvior Therapy to help with her Selective Mutism, but was never told about OT to help witht he Sensory Integration. Thanks for the info. I will need to look into OT. I usually don't force socks, but it's 10 degrees or below out and we walk to school :/. I need to look for seamless socks and see if that helps. We have gone down to mostly tights and sweatpants, but even those she often has trouble with. I'll look up Sensory Smarts. thanks

Quoting SamMom912: I agree with moms who suggest daily rub downs to help with sensory sensitivies to help desensitize as well as wilbarger brush. Does she see an OT that specializes in sensory? Tactile defensive is hard. Sam is tactile defensive. :( Id stick with socks she can tolerate (seamless, short? Stocking type? Heavy texture? Light?) or no socks (whats the big deal somedays?) but DEFINITELY find pants she will tolerate or skirts with stockings? Maybe sensory smarts or other SPD tactile websites have ideas? GL.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:54 AM

I guess we need to look into OT for her. I'll look for seamless socks. Haven't tried that yet. Yeah, I don't care what she wears at home. I won't worry about it then. What's a hexbug? Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

Quoting mewebb82: I know this struggle well. OT has helped a lot, but it's also taken some effort to figure out what does and doesn't work for my son. We found seamless socks on Amazon and he does ok with those. He also really only wears jersey knit pants, leggings, or hand knit cotton or wool pants (yes, I'm shocked by wool too if that's what you're thinking). I don't push for him to wear pants or socks at all if we are home though. Sometimes sensory distractions help too........music, weighted lap pad or vest, having him hold a hexbug, etc. while I put in his pants and socks. I agree with maybe dry skin being an added issue, especially at this time of year. Sometimes my son will be more tolerant of pants after a bath and coconut oil on his legs.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM

I'll look into Target. That would be great if we could find something there she can wear. That's a good point about the second hand clothes. I never thought about that. We buy most clothes second hand, although haven't been able to as much for the pants since she is so picky about them. Both of my older kids used to wear jeans all the time but now neither of them can deal with them. I'll definitely look at tCat & Jack. Haven't looked into Children's Place in awhile. I'll check that out too. Thanks!

Quoting Noahs-Mom:

A few things there are sensory friendly clothes. Target carries thjem acutally. I buy nearly everything second hand for my kids for the simple fact that they have been washed and 'made soft' according to my oldest child. The fabric is broken in.... All kids are different. My ex's son has NEVER liked jeans. My boys dont find. Go for cotten and tagless...  Cat & Jack at Target. 

My kids also like all clothes from Children's Place. 

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'll check that out and I'll start trying to put lotion on her in case that helps too.

Quoting patnic:

Stride Rite had the best socks for my son.  Tiny seam and soft.  He still doesn't like jeans, but there is a Levi brand called Denzen at Target, that feels like sweatpants.  They several different fits - skinny to relaxed.  

Also, my son cannot stand dry skin. Maybe try lotion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)