Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you take your child to a student?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
One of the colleges in our area offers a music therapy degree program and the last semester of their program they are required to do a practicum. So the school offers music therapy with the students for children with SNs throughout the community. There is no cost to the parents but the number of slots is dependent on the number of graduating students. The students in the program have a licensed therapist that oversees their sessions. We were lucky enough to get one of the slots this coming semester. I’m excited about it and don’t see a problem with it being taught by a student. In just a few short months these students will be in the real world on their own, I think it’s good experience. My mom however thinks it’s dangerous for a student to be working with kids. Ben is pretty high functioning and I think he will love this.

Would you be hesitant to sign your kids up for a program such as this?
by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I find students/interns/younger teachers to be better w/ my kid. A lot has changed in the world of how we see kids with difficulties and challenges.

I find the older the teacher the more jaded and clise minded their views are.

I think its an awesome opportunity. Worse case scenario you pull him from the free program IF something (can’t imagine what?) wasnt working beneficially.

LadyAmaranth
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:27 PM

I would sign them up if I thought they'd be interested enough.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 3, 2018 at 3:54 PM
I 100% agree with you. I have only met one therapist who is of the age to retire that isn't jaded and close minded.

Quoting SamMom912: I find students/interns/younger teachers to be better w/ my kid. A lot has changed in the world of how we see kids with difficulties and challenges.

I find the older the teacher the more jaded and clise minded their views are.

I think its an awesome opportunity. Worse case scenario you pull him from the free program IF something (can’t imagine what?) wasnt working beneficially.

Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM
I also agree with SamMom. My son has responded best to younger therapists. They seem to bring more enthusiasm and joy to their work which for my son is so important. It is less important for them to have a ton of experience- he is very forgiving and flexible with any mistakes as long as he senses they truly care about him as an individual.

Sounds like a great opportunity - I think it's great you can take advantage of it!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM
I sure would!
K1tten
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM

I would love an opportunity to do that with my son and grandson around here.

karene999
by Karen on Jan. 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM

I would do it in a heartbeat. Jim loved music therapy.

Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I think it'd be perfect!!

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Nope.

MikeysMom22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Sounds great to me, if the teacher is actually in the room and overseeing things.. nothing wrong with that. Our son was in a dance/movement class over 20 years ago. There was one teacher and several other people that worked with the students.  Most of our kids need more attention then just one teacher up in front who then has to try and scramble to help everyone.

I went to PT myself over the summer. I had a PT but the PT aides helped and taught me exercises that the PT had decided were best for the issues I had. They then go onto become PT's themselves after having had clinical practice on real live people instead of just reading things out of a book.

They have to know how to work with patients, clients.students not just paperwork.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)